iPad Pro or MacBook Pro? Help me decide

I would love to get going with Google Sheets and Docs as well as Squarespace on iOS.
Google in browser because the add-ons aren’t available in their iOS apps (?).

If your computer use is for writing and editing, then I’d buy the iPad Pro. Since you already have several iPads then you can know already how good the software is – the Pro will add some usability changes compared to the iPads you already have, but not much else significant.

1 Like

With the Smart Folio keyboard it’s only a pound less than the new MacBook Air. :man_shrugging: Not sure it’s that big a difference, but you have to weigh it against your current (or preferred) writing workflow.

For writing, I think you need to decide what tools you intend to use, and whether they work on iOS (and how well they work on iOS) as well as your current setup. Scrivener, Ulysses, Highland, IA Writer, iThoughts, MindNode, Word - all work on both platforms, though some with more limitations in iOS. How much do you jot down notes (as opposed to just liking the idea of doing so)? What about the cost of external storage? Until iOS 13 at least, you’re pretty much dealing with internal storage or cloud storage with iOS, but with macOS you can easily connect an external bus-powered 2Tb drive for $65, and easily do your own regular backups as well.

For writing and web surfing you don’t need much computer horsepower, so have you thought about a regular 9.7" iPad (which is lighter than the Pros, and can use the [less expensive] original Pencil or a Logitech Crayon, allegedly designed by Apple)? The 128Gb iPad is $429, the Pencil is $99 (the Crayon is $69) and there is a wide variety of keyboard cases available from manufacturers, with the highly-rated Logitech Slim folio (which Apple recommends on its store) selling for $99. If you went all-Apple with Pencil and the Logitech keyboard, your total would be $627 … + another $84 for 2 years of AppleCare+ if desired. Say $700 then. That’s almost half the price of the iPad Pro. Something to think about.

3 Likes

Have to agree with bowline. If I were you, I’d evaluate a MacBook Air also.

1 Like