iPhone 13 Pro Max + Affinity Photo (replace DSLR?)

Agree, but there are so many videos out there with “oooh can they tell the difference?” that are shot in a narrow set of circumstances that the iPhone does well in. I feel there needs to be some balance.

1 Like

For some people this is true, but I think you’ve overstated there.

I love my Olympus for being able to set up a shot in advance so that there is little need for editing after the fact, though tapping on auto adjust can help with colours popping (though Oly tended to be better at this than Cannon).
So, I set the aperture as I want to get the depth of field, and I use a colour preset to get the colours about right. I use the tilt indicators to get level as needed. I have center weighted exposure and center point focus. I don’t use a histogram as I can judge that myself well enough, though I sometimes like peak highlighting.

Perhaps most importantly I have buttons and dials that let me change the key elements by feel whilst keeping my mind and eye on the subject. And I have a large enough sensor that lets me shoot at ISO 1600 without worrying about the quality.

Oh, and I try to frame the photo to avoid needing to remove things as I find photographing a fun hobby, where editing is more of a chore I reserve for a select few photos… using Photos or Pixelmator (to get back on track),

2 Likes

Well… I didn’t really have to try for a bad photo. I was out this afternoon in the sunshine and saw a nice vista. I had my big camera with me, too, but decided the iPhone would be the smarter choice for this particular scene (not to mention the big camera had a long lens attached).

If the value of iPhone photos is they are “great with no editing” well then I don’t like this definition of great. In fact, I’d call it terrible. I thought this was the comfort zone for iPhones, too. Apparently not. iPhone 11 Pro, 0.5x lens.

As I see it:

• White balance is way off
  • Sky is badly flared
  • Contrast in the foliage is super high
  • Brighter parts of foliage are washed out
  • Definition throughout is pretty bad, and really noticeable at the skyline
  • The water looks fine!

I also took one with the 1x lens which is better but still suffers from many of the same problems.

Would I have to push and prod a DSLR shot of the same scene? Yes, but I’d have a lot more data to play with and it would be much higher quality.

2 Likes