iPhone 13 Users - How’s the camera?

Taking photos at home today inside (so not great lighting), I’ve been unimpressed with my iPhone 11 photos.

The results have been pretty grainy and my daughters face has been quite blurred.

I had been looking at upgrading to the iPhone 13 but have now been giving some serious consideration to the Pixel 6 as well, with its face unblur feature, which could come in useful with a 14 month old…

However, how is the camera on the 13? Am I expecting miracles? I’ve never been hugely impressed with the camera on my 11 - even my wife’s iPhone SE 2020 appears to be better in some cases.

I’m not a photography expert but I’ve found the 13 Pro supersedes the 2020 SE in every situation we’ve tried. I didn’t always find that to be the case with the 11. They seem to have fixed computational deficiencies as of the 12, and improved performance in a wider light range with the 13, but I’m sure it’s more complicated than that.

1 Like

Not sure but my husband and I both attended a party at the brewery. We both took lots of pictures. niether of us did anything special to make the pictures look great. Mine came out far brighter, the camera automatically adjusted the lighting so we could see every face. His came out nice but dark.

I have finally been able to take pictures of black seeo in bright sunlight with good details, something that even the professional photographer I hired to take sheep pictures was hard pressed to accomplish with his multi-thousand dollar Nikon system.

I had an iPhone 8 before. my 13 Pro is so far advanced that it’s hard to believe Igot it for a phone price.

I did not buy a $1000+ phone, I bought a $1000 camera that just happens to have a phone and PDA attached.

6 Likes

I think that, if you can stretch to the iPhone 13 Pro, you would be impressed by the cameras. I certainly am. Being able to take pictures in the evening and of the night sky are things that really excel over my previous 6S. Comparing standard video with the new 4K ProRes video is astonishing and well worth the extra I paid for 256 GB storage (which is the minimum required for 4K resolution.

Won’t be purchasing the Pro - I don’t think that money on a phone (or camera with phone attached) is worth the cost. I like value for money and I don’t see that the Pro offers me that - even though I want the best camera for my money, my budget doesn’t stretch that far. When I’m paying the same price as a MacBook for a phone, that’s to much in my mind.

Perhaps if I didn’t upgrade every two years I’d be OK, but I tend to upgrade at the end of a contract. If I did upgrade, I’d be going for the Mini - I like the smaller form factor and with a iPad Mini 6, I don’t foresee the need for the larger phone as well.

I realise I lose the telephoto, but that’s not the end of the world and I was never bothered with ProRes video.

After some thought and research over the Christmas period, the Pixel is likely to be a non starter - the pictures look good, but moving away from iOS on my primary phone would be a step to far I think.

You should still see a significant improvement with the 13 Mini’s camera over the 11. 13 is a solid sensor upgrade over the 12, and 12 fixed some issues I saw on the XS and 11 that actually ruined photos. You’ll get both steps up in one upgrade.

The 13 Pro rates highly in the value-for-money department, though! All three of the photo sensors are better than the ones on the regular 13. There are some benefits to battery, the screen and performance, too. But the Mini is a great phone and your typical daytime photos will look just as good as what the Pro takes.

I’ll echo all of these comments, especially the bokeh, but with one addendum: the oil painting effect.

It’s not common, but shows up particularly when taking landscape photos during high noon (it’s very apparent with foliage). Not a deal breaker by any means, just a mild annoyance because of how jarring it can be when you spot it.

It probably is - but I can’t bring myself to pay that much for a phone, even if I know the camera will be one of the best out there. I just wouldn’t make use of the power of it. And at the cost of a laptop, I’d rather take a laptop as I’d use it more!

1 Like