iPhone Photography Thread

APC_0476
iPhone 7 Plus with Lightroom CC Pro camera setting White Balance at cloudy to keep it from ‘fixing’ it for me because it really was golden!
this one of my hubby using iPhone7 Plus portrait mode!

6 Likes

I love this thread – it inspires me to try and take better photos with my phone! Here’s one of Henry when I was trying out portrait mode.

PS - anyone checked out the Sweet Setup’s mobile photography course that just dropped?

IMG_0594

8 Likes

Yep. I’ve got it. It was very worthwhile for me. The course does talk some about taking photos, but overall it’s slanated towards teaching you how to edit photos on iOS. Photo editing is an area I didn’t really have much experience with, so that stuff was very useful for me. YMMV.

3 Likes

I was in Rome last week on a business trip and took this picture at Fontana di Trevi, in the middle of the night at 3:30a. I was alone with two Italian police men protecting the monument :wink:

9 Likes

All of mine are unretouched direct out of the phone.

RG002_iPhone5s_2016-05-02_3698
Ginny coming up for a scratch. iPhone 5s

RG002_iPhone5s_2015-05-15_2225
Lambs in Orchard iPhone 5s

RG002_iPhone5s_2014-09-17_1297

RG002_iPhone5s_2014-09-17_1276
Black Canyon of the Gunnison iPhone 5s

RG002_iPhone8_2018-05-26_0782
Wide Load iPhone 8

8 Likes

Taken on iPhone 4 in Yosemite Valley, straight from the camera:

IMG_2550

11 Likes

This was taken on my XS in Halide, slight editing in Darkroom, from my walk to work this morning. Love the Smart HDR feature.

10 Likes

I will join the XS club tomorrow and I can‘t wait to join back into (semi)serious photography!

I still have a Canon Rebel from 2007 and I started drooling over the new upcoming EOS:R, but I figured the XS is cheaper :wink:

Speaking of DSLRs: Is a camera connection cable (lightning to USB) worth buying if I want to keep taking pics with my old camera?

Chris thanks for starting this thread.

It is encouraging to see the images. I planning to add a niche raised bed and contaniner gardening site. My new Max will be my primary recording tool. I’ll probably set it up on a monpod… The stick is as much to support me as the camera.

I have found tablet mounts and will make or buy one for the phone. I want to set it up to tie in with my quick release head on the monopod.

Rick

2 Likes

I have one and always use it when out and about. It transfers pics quickly to the phone and into iCloud for syncing everywhere else.
Plus lets you share those photos immediately.

I just picked one up to transfer photos from my dSLR to an iPad. It worked perfectly to get photos from a Nikon D700 into my iPad for eventual editing in Lightroom CC and syncing to my main photo machine back home.

If I connect the camera to the iPad through the adapter I can transfer photos with no additional hardware; the camera provides enough power to transfer the files. If, however, I want to use my USB3 Compact Flash card reader (faster transfer) I need to make sure I plug in a Lightning cord connected to an AC charger or there isn’t enough current available to run the reader.

The USB camera adapter provides more flexibility than the SD adapter but the latter might be a simpler option one’s camera uses SD cards.

Thanks for your impressions, I guess I will get a USB/lightning camera cable since my old camera still uses CF and I don‘t want additional hassle with power supplies.

The XS Max arrived today, but I am still at work… can‘t wait…

Can you recommend an app to correct the distortion of the wide angle lens on the iPhone? On Mac and iPad I use Affinity for this kind of stuff.

Lightroom is my photo editor/manager so I use its built in lens correction capabilities. The iOS app runs on both iPhone and iPad.

1 Like

I posted some iPhone X vs. iPhone XS example pictures in this post. The iPhone XS camera is much better when taking a picture of a streetcar in New Orleans — and I’m sure many other times as well.

-Jeff

3 Likes

I use SKRWT

Thanks, I saw that one and wondered if it was good. I don’t want to get on the Adobe subscription.

6S Plus at dawn, NYC’s Central Park:

IMG_6972

3 Likes

6S Plus, shot an hour ago with the Tintype app:

IMG_7145

2 Likes

6S Plus, shot this morning, edited in Camera+ 2:

IMG_7129

4 Likes