iPhone Photography Thread

Can you recommend an app to correct the distortion of the wide angle lens on the iPhone? On Mac and iPad I use Affinity for this kind of stuff.

Lightroom is my photo editor/manager so I use its built in lens correction capabilities. The iOS app runs on both iPhone and iPad.

1 Like

I posted some iPhone X vs. iPhone XS example pictures in this post. The iPhone XS camera is much better when taking a picture of a streetcar in New Orleans — and I’m sure many other times as well.

-Jeff

3 Likes

I use SKRWT

Thanks, I saw that one and wondered if it was good. I don’t want to get on the Adobe subscription.

6S Plus at dawn, NYC’s Central Park:

IMG_6972

3 Likes

6S Plus, shot an hour ago with the Tintype app:

IMG_7145

2 Likes

6S Plus, shot this morning, edited in Camera+ 2:

IMG_7129

4 Likes

I believe both pictures were taken with an iPhone 7 Plus.

5 Likes

IMG_0068
iPhone Xs

8 Likes

Shot with an iPhone 7, no alterations. Going to get a iPhone XS soon.IMG_1223

4 Likes

I just stumbled upon this thread. As an avid iPhone photographer I’m very glad to see it!
I’m still on the Xs Max and will be upgrading to whatever Apple comes out with later this year. I’m shooting most of my stuff in RAW+JPG with Halide because I really like the quality I get in a RAW image in Halide. Here’s a couple of samples.

I also do a couple of podcasts related to iPhone photography. I’m a cohost on Tiny Shutter and my own show is The Artful iPhotography Interviews.

8 Likes

I enjoy the Tiny Shutter podcast.

Sorry for missing this earlier. Thanks Dudley! I’m glad you like the show. :slight_smile:

Taking photos facing the sun could be challenging with any Camera, and with iPhone’s algorithms for SmartHDR the results can be less than satisfying. Shooting RAW+JPG has been my method of choice for image capture starting in January because I wanted to try practicing iPhone photography in a more traditional way, like I did when I had a DSLR.
I’m finding that RAW files, especially ones shot with Halide and it’s SmartRAW feature, give me much better image quality, even from the Tele camera which tends to have more image noise because of the smaller aperture. Getting every bit of information out of a RAW file without Apple’s magic sauce interfering definitely has its advantages.
This photo was shot on my Xs Max with Halide and processed with RAW Power. The JPG counterpart was just not as good.

4 Likes

5 Likes

How did you find a mountain lake that’s not engulfed in flames at the moment?

I went to Montana :wink:

1 Like

Taken on iPhone XR using Spectre app.

5 Likes

1 Like