Is anything better than Carrot weather?

Apple weather app seems fine on phone, but I have a watch. Way too many clicks to navigate the app. I use Carrot for the better complication (conditions AND temperature) and fewer clicks to navigate around the app.

I love Carrot, but have issues with the widget on my Lock Screen. The temps/time are locked and not updating as they usually have. Anyone else experiencing this?

I love Carrot but this post got me thinking about my next subscription renewal (just checked and it’s in March). I have been slowly canceling subscriptions this past year when the free option suits me just fine. After listening to Hemispheric Views podcast about defaults apps, I have been trying more default apps this past few weeks.

So I just put Apple Weather app on the widget in iOS and changed my Apple Watch compilation. Going to give this a try and see if I can eliminate one more app subscription. Thanks!

Joint the movement! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is a useful tool to see which data source is most accurate for your location: https://www.forecastadvisor.com/

I like that Carrot lets me set a source out of several options.

1 Like

I don’t see Apple Weather on ForecastAdvisor‘s list, at least for my area, so I don’t know how well it compares to the others.

I mostly use Apple Weather because it works and I don’t need another subscription in my life, but I have the free version of Carrot (which only uses Foreca) installed for the rare occasions when I want to check an alternate source.

Doesn’t work in Canada unfortunately. :frowning_face:

Hello Weather offers multiple sources, too.

Thanks, but even though Apple Weather pulls from those sources, in the US (for example), they’re not just pulling from the Weather Channel, and the two differ somewhat in their forecasts, as do all weather sources.

Apple merged Dark Sky’s methodology into their own, and it’s still distinct from other sources. That’s why they’re able to sell Apple Weather as a source for other weather apps.

That was my point in noting that it’s not included in the accuracy comparison from https://www.forecastadvisor.com/

1 Like

But it didn’t keep DK’s secret sauce (processing radar images to determine when precipitation would start/stop). :cry:

When I was evaluating Apple Weather it was predicting rain starting and stopping on perfectly clear days. (which I verified by looking at statewide traffic cams). I use the AW widget on my phone to display the temperature. I never open the app.

1 Like

Yes, that’s my understanding. I still get notifications with AW that are similar to the ones in DS

This article reminded me of this discussion. I hope we’re supporting the proliferation of better weather forecasting by indirectly paying for some of these APIs.