Is GTD Showing Its Age?

I clearly remember the President of the company I worked for in the late 80s and early 90s telling us that he was empowering us to do what was needed. I saw it as an abdication of his responsibility to provide useful direction. In my mind, GTD arose as employees found out they were on their own to get the job done.

1 Like

This is actually “intended behavior” in GTD. Your “next action” just records where you start any given project and/or where you left off last time, and when you’re done with whatever you’re doing you record new “next actions” to let you know where to pick things up next time.

That’s all NAs are - flags in the ground to give you a jumping off point.

People in the same roles are horrible at estimating it too. :slight_smile: The issue you begin to run into with “other people putting tasks into your system” IMHO is that it becomes easy to start getting back to waterfall-style planning, which is the usually the polar opposite of what GTD is trying to encourage.

I would wager that even DA does GTD differently from how he used to, based on the fact that he’s revised and updated the books and changed around info in his seminars. Same principles, but different implementations based on changing times.

To me, “empowerment” is useful, but it’s only one part of it. “Empowerment” means “you can make your own decisions regarding what needs to be done”, but it’s missing the follow up question from the boss, “what do you need from me?”

Employees need things like:

• No “dotted line” to five different department heads that can all dump tasks on you
  • Aggressive protection of employees’ time from useless meetings
  • Support from the boss if they have to make a judgement call
  • Setting reasonable departmental expectations regarding things like email, etc.

Those can be addressed at the managerial level, but are frequently next to impossible for an employee to deal with.

3 Likes

Oh, he said both parts because that’s what was in the management book he read. But he wasn’t talking to his direct reports or even his management team. We were sales and support and coders at the bottom of the pyramid and at a disadvantage in that equation.

1 Like

Your visceral reaction is fine. I also would rather bring my own system. I’m like you in that I like to work in environments and industries where I have a high degree of latitude in how and when I do my work in all respects, not just how information is organized.

I thought the idea Cal was making, though, was that there are many organizations where most people hired have no idea how to organize the work on either an individual or group level, so in order to get out of the current information volume trap, those organizations will, out of necessity, need to stop assuming only their Merlin Manns/cornchips/svsmailus employees benefit from being organized, and start doing some combination of training, work structuring and system prescription.

Kind of like how personal computing eventually came for nearly every job and not just ones for people who really like computers, and the computing for people who don’t like computers and had no plans to mess with them out of curiosity has been more command-and-control.

Did you happen to inherit a spring from Juan Ponce de LeĂłn? If so, do you sell bottled water?

1 Like

Of course, for a price. but the water comes “as is” with no warranty and no refunds. How many do you need? :joy:

If it is “Free shipping”, I would take a 6-Pack…

2 Likes

Certainly, shipping is included in the price—did I mention it is an ongoing subscription? After all, one doesn’t want to get better looking only to revert back when the subscription ends. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Based on what I see in the mirror each morning I probably need all you’ve got. :grinning:

2 Likes

Sorry, but I looked in the mirror this morning and drank the whole lot. :joy:

4 Likes

I’d like to expand a bit on what Cal Newport is trying to address. He calls the way most companies work these days as the hyperactive hive mind. It’s just a constant stream of unscheduled messages (email, IM, etc) and meetings to try and figure out how to accomplish a task. His idea, which I think is mostly correct, is that the communication takes up too much of the time spent working on the tasks. His idea is that the company (or team or whatever level of organization makes sense) figure out a streamlined process for accomplishing tasks that are regular and repeating. He makes the analogy with the way cars used to be made vs the Ford assembly line. A car used to be made in a stationary place up on blocks. Then different people would come up to the car and do the job they were best at doing. It took a long time and there was a lot of time wasted with people moving around to work on the cars.

Ford had the brilliant idea of having the people be stationary and the cars would move along and allow the cars to be manufactured at a quicker pace, which in turn made the cars more affordable. So he just didn’t tell people to go figure out how to make a car. He created an efficient process that allowed the company to thrive and grow.

He sees the current corporate environment more like the pre-assembly line days. Managers give people a task, an email address and Slack account and tells the team to figure it out as they go along. This ends up being very inefficient and messy. There is way more noise in the system than needs to be.

I’ve taken 2 days off from work, I just checked my work inbox, it has 749 new messages. This is after all of my filtering rules are applied. I’m sure the actual volume is closer to 2000 messages in that time. Isn’t that a bit crazy?

1 Like

I would consider a tenth of that amount a bit crazy.

1 Like

Wow, I hope the majority of that is routine messaging about systems that you monitor and that are doing fine or are being covered by others while you’re gone. :slightly_smiling_face:

P.S. No mater how much you’re making, I think you need a raise!

1 Like

“Today, carmakers like Ford are moving away from traditional assembly lines, and to conveyances that are reminiscent of the carts that carried early cars around assembly plants.”

1 Like

A good amount of it is routine, but doesn’t fit the rules I have to filter that stuff out. I would love it if my Inbox just had messages from people who are trying to communicate with me. Instead of being one of the 50 people CCd on an email thread I don’t care about.

1 Like

I think stuff like this is lower-hanging fruit for optimization. There are relatively few emails that actually make sense to circulate to 50 people, and frequently when I see stuff like that it’s more in the category of reference info rather than something that’s actually being asked of me.

Consolidating the reference info into a centralized place would largely solve a good chunk of the email problem.

Some of the emails (I get these too) are just automated status updates. If we made those updates a little smarter, such that they only wind up in your main inbox (or even get sent at all) when there’s something you need to see, that would help.

And as a related example, in many companies, there’s no consequence to calling a meeting of a dozen or more people when only a few of them would actually have to be there.

These are all areas where management could provide some direction and free up peoples’ attention so that they could get useful work done.

1 Like

Right, if I understand Newport, you, and the other posts in this thread correctly, that’s the kind of thing that Newport is arguing for in his article(s). These are the kinds of things that employees can’t really deal with, but management can, and it’s kind of separate from GTD. I think it’s more about “GTD can help you handle these problems, but there are things that can be done as an organization to minimize them in the first place”.

2 Likes

I can get beside this and I would argue a similarly about his (Newport’s) stance on work within an organization. The part that I have the biggest issue with is his antagonistic attitude toward GTD extends beyond the level of his New Yorker article and bubbles up repeatedly in his podcast. He pitches his own philosophy, calls it different and more streamlined, but in reality, it’s just a GTD Lite™️ system without the refinement GTD Classic™️ brings; capture, configure, control with projects listed by role is pretty similar to capture, clarify, organize with projects listed by area of focus. In either system, failure to question priorities, habits, and how all of this fits into one’s higher calling leads to dissatisfaction. Listening to his podcast makes that as clear as the many, many voices arguing that GTD didn’t work for them. I suspect if each of us put as much effort into questioning our purpose on this earth, a lot of these dilemmas would sort themselves out.

2 Likes

I think it’s natural for us to blunt the idea in that article until it becomes something remedial like fewer notifications.

I won’t belabor the point any further, but I would look at the five room work building in Deep Work to get an analogous idea of what might be coming from some organizations to gain an advantage in competitive information work. I see a straight through-line to the New Yorker article.

Individual GTD can be practiced to an extent in such an environment but it is second priority.

The overall GTD culture in the David Allen’s own organization might be a more familiar reference point, if any of you have encountered or read about it, and is less extreme but very much not individualistic.

I agree that GTD and CCC (Newport’s system, Capture/Configure/Control) have many similarities, and that they both require some sort of higher-level planning to fit within, but I would not necessarily argue that Newport is antagonistic towards GTD or that one system is better than the other.

As someone that used GTD for a little while and has mostly used CCC (using it at the moment as well), here is my opinion on the two: The Capture/Clarify and Capture/Configure parts of GTD and CCC, respectively, are very similar (it’s in the names!). Where the two systems differ is in the third step, the organizational step. The difference lies in what I’ll call the “axis of separation”, or the method each system uses to divide tasks up into various buckets.

Allen, from what I understand, argues in GTD that the axis of separation should be context. That is, you should split up your tasks into your different “modes”, which makes it easier to filter out tasks that you really can’t do at the moment (someone earlier in the thread mentioned going to the hardware store while on a plane), or finding tasks that are really suited to the moment (on a call with someone and finding other items related to them).

Newport, from what I understand, argues in CCC that the axis of separation should be status. This means splitting up tasks into different levels, similar to priority, but that also have semantic meaning. For example, you may have a “postponed” bucket for very low priority tasks, or a “active” bucket for things you’re working on in the next 24 hr, etc. This makes it really easy to see what stage every task is in at the moment, and what things you need to move forward right now vs what you can ignore.

My argument is that the better system depends on you and your work. For me, almost all of my work would fit into a singular “Computer” context. Sure, I could split it up into per-app, etc, but that is not particularly helpful. However, I have a lot of tasks that are in a lot of different stages, so Newport’s system is much more beneficial to me, because it divides my tasks up in a much more suitable way (multiple buckets, each with tasks at a certain stage of completion).

In the end, I think it’s about which axis of separation fits your work better: context or status. Pick the system based on which one fits you best.

2 Likes