Is It Smart to Buy AppleCare+ on a New MacBook Pro?

I agree with @tomalmy above. Insurance schemes exist because they make money, so if you can afford the occasional big bill when it happens, you’ll be better off overall. You just need to maintain that clarity if statistical understanding as you pay he bill!

I almost never buy insurance except when it’s needed for potentially very large things like medical cover when travelling or third-party liability.

The only times I’ve bought Applecare here in the UK were because, for a few years, they did an astonishing discount for those eligible for educational pricing. Sadly, I think that’s now gone away.

Yikes! I saw this thread and remembered I am within the 60 days of time I can decide to buy it for my M1 MacBook Pro.

From all of the above I was pretty keen to get it but some of the wording (which they repeat incessantly behind “Learn more” links) doesn’t fill me with confidence.

“Up to three years” of extra cover. “Up to?” Under what conditions would it be less? It also says the cover starts when I purchase AC+, which technically, if it is exactly three years, could see it out to 38 months of cover. Maybe they put a hard stop at 36 months and that’s why it’s “up to?”

"Up to two incidents of accidental damage per 12 months, so that’s six accidental damage incidents. But, there’s a surcharge. That surcharge is 45% of the AC+ cost per incident but only if it’s screen or enclosure. If it’s something else, say you spill water in your keyboard, then the surcharge is 132% of the AC+ cost!

But my favourite one of all is the software support. Because my experience with that so far is one of those stories I tell often. I’m in the middle of take two on an iCloud issue that does at least seem to be progressing slightly better this time, although I still have yet to hear back from “engineering” with anything other than “collect more logs.” Last time it lasted 4 months before they dropped the ball and just stopped calling me while claiming they were. I learned very recently that apparently some US-based Apple engineers don’t know how to call international numbers properly — on their end they hear it ringing, but it never calls the customer. Internal memo, anyone??

Still conflicted on this. I have until 2nd Feb.

Support is a hard stop after 36 months total.

They could also probably terminate Applecare if you did something egregious to invalidate the coverage - lime taking a ball peen hammer to your laptop. :slight_smile:

Without purchasing AppleCare+ you get a 1 year hardware warranty and 90 days of telephone software support from date of purchase. I believe that if you order online the date of purchase is the date it is shipped.

You get software support at an Apple Store for free for the life of the product.

When you purchase AppleCare+, regardless of the date of its purchase, the hardware warranty is extended an additional two years, or three years total from date of purchase of the Mac. The telephone software support is extended to the same three years from date of purchase.

AppleCare+ additionally provides insurance against accidental damage (within limits) up until three years from date of purchase of the Mac, and that coverage starts on the date of purchase of AppleCare+. There is a copay associated with each claim of accidental damage.

So this means you are buying 34 to 36 months of accidental damage insurance, two years of hardware warranty, and 33 months of telephone software support.

3 Likes

And if I remember correctly, you used to be able to add AppleCare+ any time in that first year, provided you bring the device to Apple for inspection at the time you added it.

Thank you. I always focus just on the accidental damage insurance, forgetting the hardware warranty aspect.

I think in some regions the standard warranty is longer than 1 year for legal reasons.

If you have an Apple Store in country. I don’t.

Arguably I’m covered under NZ consumer law anyway. The question is how much hassle will it be… at a reseller/service agent… to assert that? I don’t personally know anyone who has tried.

That appears to be the main benefit for me. My track record of accidental damage is very light. I dropped one iPad, denting a corner and slightly raising the glass. I managed to sell it (at a reduced price obviously). Every other device I used to own (going back to a 2004 iPod) has been sold in excellent condition.

Still conflicted.

If you decide against it, perhaps set up a little savings account and call it AppleCare. Then you can use it to pay for repairs if you need to.

If you don’t claim, when it gets high enough buy yourself a nice new device.

3 Likes

I would like to thank everyone for their input. It was very useful. I decided to purchase for my new MBP M1 which arrived yesterday. Thanks again!

1 Like

One additional thought is if you plan on selling your device within 3 years, people are willing to pay more for a used device that includes AC+.

1 Like

That’s a really neat idea.

Good idea. Some time back, I financed the purchase of a new (used) car. After I paid it off, I started putting the same amount into a credit union account. By the time I needed to replace the car I had enough saved to pay cash. It never hurts to plan ahead.

2 Likes

I’m not basing this on anything but I would assume the price difference is small so as not to influence whether you buy in the first place?

Nice bonus if you do though :slight_smile:

I try to do that saving trick with the retailers’ warranty offers on inconsequential consumer electronics (toasters, hair dryers, etc.), adding $5-20 each time. I definitely come out ahead, although the money isn’t always successfully firewalled.

Of course, those programs are usually a hassle to track and remember to use. AppleCare is a bit different.

1 Like

Resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one.

AppleCare+ on my 2019 MBP 16" has expired. I have 30 days to renew it for $140/year. The details are below.

I’m thinking that if I pay it and something happens within the next year, beside screen damage or external damage, essentially it will cost me $140 + $299 (automatic). That’s $439 to fix.

I have had various Apple laptops in the past and I had a logic board go on one. I had a keyboard go on another. I think the logic board would’ve cost me a lot but it was covered.

If I go this route and something happens, that’s a lot of money. I’m not sure that’s worth it. BUT, let’s say I don’t feel something is working properly. Can I still call Apple support and talk to someone? I’m a little confused by that last sentence below.

Every Mac comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for Mac extends your coverage from your AppleCare+ purchase date and adds protection for unlimited incidents of accidental damage from handling, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other accidental damage, plus applicable tax. In addition, you’ll get 24/7 priority access to Apple experts by chat or phone.

Yes. Whether they’ll be able to help you is a whole different question, as Apple’s support can be hit-or-miss - but that’s the intent. You call, they help.

Chances are something “not working properly” will be software. I’ve called Apple numerous times about macOS issues without having active AppleCare of any kind. They always help… errr… answer the phone.

2 Likes