Is it time to ditch 1Password?

I am a long time user of 1Password. Development seems pretty minimal these days, with very few new features. I also note massive investment which seems to be aimed at competing in the business market.

I recently realised that 70% of my passwords are in iCloud Keychain.

I am thinking about moving to iCloud Keychain.

What would be really good is to have an app that “visualises” iCloud Keychain in a better way ?

2 Likes

For some people a better front end to keychain would be sufficient. We use other features of 1Password that keeps it a good value.

3 Likes

I value Watchtower too much to make that sort of switch at this point. I don’t have time to track password vulnerabilities myself. That service is worth the subscription to me.

3 Likes

I like having photos of my drivers license, passport, as well as notes and other private info in 1Password.
I don’t blame them for wanting to expand their business, and it sounds like they aren’t going to throw us under the bus in doing so.

3 Likes

1Password is under constant development. Updates are frequent and much appreciated.

3 Likes

Altough it may look that way, 1Password is absolutely not the only good password manager around. A shell around Apple’s Keychain - if feasible - will never give you the flexibility of a password manager with its own database. In the first place because Keychain doesn’t offer much fields for additional data.

The family sharing features are amazing for me and well worth the entry price.

Continuing development and new features aren’t a big want from me either. The product is pretty feature complete, does the job and is value for money.

What new features do you want?

2 Likes

I’m a long time 1PW user, but I agree it’s not the only good pw manager. LastPass has a good reputation, but it has “suffered” some growing pains similar to 1PW.

I don’t see Apple ever allowing 3rd party developers access to the keychain database, so any feature changes will have to come from them. And that may be complicated because it has to run on macOS and IOS.

IMO, keychain isn’t a match for a top password manager but it is definitely a viable choice. Especially for those aware of its limitations.

I think that’s where a subscription model can be a hard sell for something like 1Password. It is pretty much feature complete, so there are no ongoing development costs that are adding value for the majority of customers.

4 Likes

We have to use LastPass for work. Not even if they paid me would I use that over 1Password privately.

4 Likes

As long as 1PW stays in business and doesn’t sell out to Amazon or Google I am happy to pay for it!

2 Likes

FWIW, one reason I pay for a 1Password subscription is to help insure the company remains successful.

It is, and likely will remain, one of only three software subscriptions that I have. The others being Evernote and Mobile Passport.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of subscriptions, but I find 1Password excellent value. The family sharing and usability make it worth every penny for me. My wife and mum were a nightmare with passwords until we got the family subscription - I’ve not had to reset a password since. For me, it means I’m not always having to deal with family members having “technical problems” which usually involved forgotten or lost passwords.

It is great software that has matured to the point where adding more features would just equate to bloat in most cases, and I prefer if they focus on keeping it stable and secure rather than trying to add things that aren’t necessary.

4 Likes

I have been using 1Password for a few years now. I like it a lot.

What new features are you looking for?

I disagree, ensuring compatibility with new OS versions and hosting are not free.

In the end you have to decide if it’s value for money. For me, it is.

3 Likes

Anyone have any experience with Bitwarden? It has a good reputation around the Linux community and I understand that it’s open source and was recently audited by an independent security agency. It can also be self-hosted if you’re into that. The Mac and iOS apps are pretty decent as well.

1 Like

I have moved away from password managers to a stateless password solution, like LessPass.

No passwords are stored which means there’s no password file to be breached. As with everything in life, there are pros and cons of this solution, but LessPass is one stateless option that allows the character set to be defined so if a site is strict about what composes your password, it won’t be an issue as it was for me before.

That’s ridiculous - Now they don’t need to find your password and get access to your vault through 2fa, they JUST need your password and you can NEVER change it.

2 Likes

Bitwarden is what I use. 1W is too expensive for what it offers. Bitwarden can do the same (while being only slightly less user friendly) for free and it is open-source and e2ee.

4 Likes

Agree 1PW subscription is too expensive and that is to the OP’s point because they are focused on corporate accounts and there you can pretty much charge large amounts and that translates down to little old me. Although I would like to subscribe I just cannot justify the cost. I bought the app way before it went subscription and still uses it that way as I like the other stuff you can do as pointed out earlier…I have however started to use keychain way more so I can remove most of my dependency on 1PW

2 Likes