Is keyboard maestro relevant if I have bettertouchtool and Alfred pro?

If you only need substitution macOS, iOS, and iPadOS have this much built in via keyboard shortcuts. I use them all the time for information like phone numbers, email addresses, and my switch friend code etc.

1 Like

I have over 600 macros in Keyboard Maestro, a little less than half of them snippets (as a replacement for TextExpander). The snippets range from simple to complex with dynamic short forms. So at least for me the app is relevant ;-). Not realizable in Alfred or BTT are, as far as I know, e.g. menubar apps, conflict palettes or UI dialogs.

2 Likes

That’s an amazing amount of macros. Do you share them publicly anywhere? How do you keep track of them? How often do you use them?

Thanks for the tip, I’ll experiment with it when I have the time.

It’s worth giving it a try - but as soon as you need anything lengthy or dynamic it’s not gonna work for you. I’ve only really needed simple functionality though so it’s been useful for me.

I experimented with it a bit and its a bit too simple for my needs. Thanks for the tip anyway, it was worth trying out.

1 Like

I have to endorse Evan’s points. My own use of Keyboard Maestro is very idiosyncratic and would hardly make sense to anybody else. It includes some weird expansions. My own workflow is now mostly in DEVONthink 3 supplemented by Keyboard Maestro. I don’t have a dedicated text expander or launcher as such.

1 Like

I downloaded the keyboard maestro demo and it looks like it could be a good substitute for TextExpander, among other things. And like some of you have pointed out, you don’t have to assign keyboard shortcuts to your snippets. That’s a big plus.

However, I don’t understand why it modifies the standard Mac OS command-tab UI. The standard one is nice and big, the new one is small an ugly.

Same. You can disable those things in the Switcher Group of macros. Uncheck the “Triggered by…” buttons for each one.

Interesting discussion. On sideline buying keyboard maestro because worry opening up security on Macs.

Macs come preinstalled with Automator and AppleScript and they can do all the things KM can do. It’s just an easier way of accessing that functionality with a nice UI.

In other words, the functionality is already on a Mac when you buy it. You don’t need to worry about security being compromised (just don’t download actions for KM from unknown sources, the same as AppleScripts).

2 Likes

I keep it active as a secondary option to the default one, for one particular reason: it can be navigated via your keyboard/cursor keys.

At times, when I am focused and not wanting to finger’s up — I use it to move over to app I need, but specifically the specific window/document in that app.

For example, I might have several documents open in DT3, or Word, and I don’t want to use the trackpad for app exposé(?) — then the KM version works a treat.

Admittedly, my still using the default version does say something — but probably has more to do with the fact that I never replaced the CMD-Tab shortcut, so muscle memory keeps me on the default.

Regardless, YMMV, just thought I would mention the above.

i use Keyboard Maestro happily as a text expander. I have though under a hundred snippets. If you have a very large number though it is generally said to be better to have a dedicated text expander because of the way under the hood resources are used. I note @MarkusJ has about 300 and finds Keyboard Maestro works fine with that number.

I have never had an issue with my Keyboard Maestro text expansions or noticed any kind of slow down or strain.

I found the same, when I established my palette system I found my usage of Keyboard Maestro upped a lot. I only have about half a dozen macros now that work directly from key strokes without a palette stage as it were.

I finally bought Typinator. Seems like a better app, overall, than TextExpander. The killer feature, IMO, is that you don’t have to learn all the keyboard shortcuts, you can simple search for them.

1 Like

Can you clarify there?

You press option-enter, and then search for the snippet you want. It’s like Spotlight, but for snippets. From the developer’s website:

Use the Quick search feature to easily search within your snippets and insert them directly into the program you are currently working in. This works perfectly throughout the whole system.

The key combination can be set in Settings > Activation panel. Mine is set to control-enter.