Is my Drobo 5D going to stop working with Big Sur?

After updating to Big Sur around the time of the public release, my iMac started to frequently kernel panic and my Drobo volume would frequently disconnect itself. It all seems related to Drobo and Drobo Dashboard.

Prior to updating to Drobo Dashboard 3.5.2 simply leaving the Drobo unplugged seemed to prevent any kernel panic.

Now that I have updated to 3.5.2 it seems that I can’t discover my Drobo and my Mac will kernel panic within an hour or so. I’m able to access files on the Drobo and run a Time Machine backup (although that has also been quite problematic since updating as well).

Drobo 4 bay connected over USB 3. MacOS 11.0.1. Anyone else running this version of Drobo on Big Sur?

I’m running my Drobo 5D3 on Big Sur with Dashboard 3.5.2 without a problem. There may be some other interaction going on that is triggering the kernel panic as well that just shows up with the Drobo connected. However, that’s not good.

I did a clean install on my iMac to Big Sur rather than an upgrade - I’ve got updating down to a fine art now with clean installs.

2 Likes