Is the 24” iMac a serious machine?

That’s exactly what I bought. Still cheaper than the 27” iMac my wife got in 2017. For my needs it should easily last 6-8 years. Amortized cost of less than a dollar a day. My previous 2011 MBP cost me less than that even with upgrades. If I had sold it instead of giving it to a nephew for a graduation present the cost would have closer to 0.50 per day.

1 Like

I really, really think 8GB is plenty for most people. Unfortunately, it’s a gamble, I know.

Another unfortunate thing is that Apple uses fantastic SSDs, so they are very pricey. For a desktop machine I recommend getting the smaller SSD and an external drive, eg Sandisk or T5.

You say your 2013 MBP is slow. If it is still able to do the job, just slowly, then I’d wager this new, base model iMac will be great for you for years to come.

Haha, made my day!!!:joy:

Based on everything you’ve said here, unless you need a laptop, the 24" iMac is going to be more than enough oomph for you.

My M1 MacBook Air is a little RAM-constrained for what I do (web dev / photo editing / graphic design), but in practical terms, it feels about as fast as my iMac Pro at most of what I throw at it. These M1 computers are very capable machines.

Hope that’s helpful.

2 Likes