Is the 5G iPhone a fraud currently?

Can you clarify? Speed aside - for someone in an area of marginal 4G reception now, would a 5G phone perform better with regard to either voice or data reliability?

Probably not until they install 5G access points in a line of sight to your location.
Given the fact that they did not bother to provide proper 4G in your area I would not hold my breath.

Also remember 5G microwave signals behave more like light. It cannot handle any obstruction.
For Q fans this means it cant even penetrate the skin on your scull let alone penetrate your brain… :wink:

1 Like

If you have, say, 600mhz T-Mobile 5G and LTE in your area, when you switch to a 5G-enabled phone, you’ll have access to whichever of those two is less congested and performing better. That should be the 5G in many situations, because everyone isn’t going to suddenly buy a 5G phone. Low frequency 5G stuff doesn’t need like of sight anymore than 4G on the same bandwidth.

Also, when low bandwidth 5G is described as “only as good as good 4G,” keep in mind how nice it would be to almost always get good 4G instead of ranging down—many places have this issue.

1 Like

Excellent points - thank you

So 5G will not work indoors?

Nope
The best we can hope for is 5G modems with outdoor antenna…

Did not realize that - that will be an immense shortcoming

So it will not be usable in airport terminals or hotels - places people are likely to want private high-speed access

For indoor areas like Airports, Sport Area’s etc the antenna will be inside.

In high volume locations like airports the carriers will likely place boosters within the buildings, though how many they would have to place to get blanket coverage may well still lead to frustrating dead spots as you battle your way to your gate. In hotels, it’s more likely that they’ll offer good WiFi (though if you follow recent FBI advice you won’t connect to a hotel WiFi)

There won’t be 5G dead spots, just areas where you do not get the super fast, high frequency version. The low frequency 5G will also be available with indoor coverage as good or better than 4G.

Think routers. The higher-frequency 5 GHz channels have less coverage and obstacle penetration than 2,4Ghz. Higher frequency: lower range, coverage, etc. while offering a higher bandwidth. Extreme example: low-frequency (short-wave) can easily transport data over 100reds/1000nds of miles/km, at very slow speeds. On the other end of the spectrum (literally), 5Ghz WLAN, LTE, 5G: very limited range (and coverage), very high bandwiths.

5G will mean more base stations, indoor stations, etc. And I guess, in rural areas, 5G will not be available (as LTE often isn’t).

BTW 5G stands for 5th generation not 5Ghz.
The high speeds are only archived in the much higher millimeter wavelength bands that behave more like light then a radio wave…

I know. I was talking about routers to make a point about how shorter wavelenghts (higher frequencies) mean coverage and penetration. Another example: emergency services moving from 2m/70cm “walkie-talkies” to TETRA (Terrestial Trunked Radio) meant installing repeaters because of the higher frequencies.

:+1: was mainly intended for anyone who might be reading this. There is so much confusion about this :crazy_face:

5G is marketing-driven. Actually, one of the main reasons for pushing 5G is market share. Demand for higher bandwidth was not really observed among LTE users. But many customers (I am talking about central/western Europe) are moving to cheaper carriers. Especially after the lock-in periods are over. So the premium carriers are pushing 5G to increase their user base again and move them to costlier plans. If you really evaluate your mobile data needs, for most customers (Instagram, YouTube, some Email, …) the €9 plans with LTE are more than adequate. The aggresive communication/marketing on how you will now be able to “watch high quality video and play games” will certainly move lots of people back to the premium carriers. The problem: the market is severely oversaturated. In my country, we have 1,7 contracts per person (no joke!), so it’s about shifting customers between carriers. 4G coverage is almost 100% for all carriers, so no argument on having more coverage. This was one of the main selling points of the big carriers a decade ago, so people got more expensive plans with them.

2 Likes