Is the Phone app in your dock?

It would be interesting to see how much people use the phone. There is a value in settings / mobile data (at the bottom) that tells the lifetime usage. Obviously this will depend on how long you have had the phone. My iPhone is approx 18 months old and I have a lifetime usage of 10 days and 19 hours on calls.

I still have the phone in my dock. For about half of my outgoing calls, I just dial the number. I grew up with land line phones, memorizing the phone numbers of people I call often is just natural after so many years before cell phones.

1 Like

It is in my dock, always has been and always will be for me. I talk a lot throughout the day on the phone to family, friends and also work, so it has always made sense to me to have it easily accessible. Also when my wife takes my phone if we are driving etc. I think she would just get confused if it was not there!

My dock right now is: phone, messages, airmail, and control4(it runs every aspect of my house, so I need it handy)

1 Like

Might be an age thing? I too was brought up on landlines et al (Iā€™m 58), and for me the clueā€™s in the title iPhone; itā€™s a telephone. So the phone bit is in my dock and always will be.

Generally I use my iPad Pro for ā€œcomputingā€ stuff (mobile computing stuff, that is), especially if it requires screen real estate etc. (why would anyone sane want to do spreadsheets or word processing on a phone?). The iPhone is a communicator first (phone, texts, Slack, social media), productivity tool second (Omnifocus in particular), quasi-iPod third.

2 Likes

I got my 7 within a month or two of release and Iā€™m at 27 hours, 9 days.

Iā€™ve had my iPhone X since about 5 days after it was available, and Iā€™m at 55 minutes :laughing: I usually use FaceTime Audio or WhatsApp to call people though because itā€™s free wherever they are (and a lot of my friends are international!).

3 Likes

Iā€™m an android guy, and Iā€™ve installed a launcher that allows me to turn off the dock completely, I also do not have any apps on the home screen, I have a slide in page where I have a few folders, the rest of my apps are in the apps drawer!

I got my iPhone 8 in early or mid October and Iā€™m at 1 day, 7 hours. The majority of that is for work though (between being on-call and not having a desk phone).

1 Like

So, one of the reasons the phone app is in my doc is because Siri is so bad! For people that are in my favorites I can tell her to call them and that usually works. But for businesses I call occasionally that (but ARE in my contacts), if I tell her to call them, she tends to go to the web and want to give me directions. Is there a syntax to tell Siri to give you info from your contacts? Again, itā€™s business listings without names that seem to give her the most trouble. i.e. when I tell her to call the name of my dentist, she wants to search dentists near me instead of calling the business I just gave her the name of. Is this just me?

1 Like

It would seem many of the respondents here are Free Agents as they spend the day making calls on their personal phones. Iā€™m barely off the phone during the work day but Iā€™m in the office on a deskphone. In my own time the phone app is on the second screen and I much prefer typing a message in something, email/text/im

Interesting idea; I was wondering what people were doing if they didnā€™t have their phone app immediately accessible (ie: the dock).

I ask Siri to call someone from my contacts or i tell her to dial a particular number. I donā€™t use my iPhone for work, so the number of times I have to use it like a phone is very limited.

Iā€™m the same way. I typically call contacts. And to make a call I just swipe down and search for the contact Iā€™m intending to call

I have the phone in my dock. However, since I have just one screen of apps (a la CGP Grey and @katiefloyd) being in the dock doesnā€™t really give it any more primacy of place than any other slot on my home screen.

If you stay with this group, you will. Ever since I heard about CGP GrayĖ‹s 4 folder system, I was back and fourth about where I was going to put the phone! It is now out of the Dock and I do not miss it.

I generally call numbers Iā€™ve looked up in safari or people that are in my contacts. I search contacts by pulling down on the screen and typing the name in then tapping the contact there. My phone app isnā€™t even on my first screen.

I have messages, phone, calendar, contacts, in my dock. I would love to put Drafts in the dock , just canā€™t get myself to change it yet. Iā€™m thinking of maybe making a folder for contacts, phone, messages to put in the dock.

I would love to know if people use the contacts app or phone app ? I have both in my dock but now Iā€™m thinking just the phone app would be fine , cause I can still get to my contacts.

I mostly either swipe down and search or 3D Touch the phone app to get to favorites.

@ChrisUpchurch thatā€™s a great idea to slide down I never thought of it. Is it possible to get more favorites to show up when you 3D Touch them? I think only 4 people show up.