ISO feedback about RAW Power app for photos

I also tried editing JPG and TIF. Both worked fine. I’m sure PNG would also work.

1 Like

Actually I just bought as while I can shoot in RAW with a camera app I have, I cannot really process it in Photos as I understand it. So I thought it looked good too and bought it.

It is only $10 on iOS. I’ll try that later. ;o)

Yes, Photos do not process RAW. Also, Apple is not able to decode all the RAW files that RAW Power can - compressed RAW files from my Fuji X-T3 by Apple, so I can’t open these in Finder, Preview or Photos…

1 Like

I have a lot _ of apps but I shall try. ROFL

My Review RAW Photos

Unbelievable how right-on is this app for cleaning up photos. They are coming out beautifully! (Of course, the photographer is exceptional).

It is quite intuitive. Very user friendly! Great price. OS and iOS. So far I love it!

I checked that are out too. A wee bit outside my budget!

1 Like

Is there a search feature in RAW Power? I cannot find one.

No search feature - what do you want to search for? It does have a filter function, though.

I want to search for my photos. I describe them deliberately in Photos. And there should be a search feature for say a “car”, “bus” etc. It just would make my life easier.

It is a tremendous app though. Very user friendly, very intuitive and it cleaned up in a jiffy some photos I thought I’d never get right. I am very impressed!

The price is not very high. It is available for iOS. I have nothing bad to say about it.

If you describe them by using tags, then you can filter for these.
I don’t use Photos at all. At the time I use Raw Power, I manage a folder and its images in Finder. Only when processing is done do I bring an image into my digital asset management software - typically the last step in the process.

The photography field has developed so radically for the better over the last couple decades that it amazes me. Does using more than a couple of programs reduce the photo, giving you less to work with? I’m not sure how to explain it. But I believe you understand.

I almost always duplicate an original image before using another app.

I keep finding new ways of managing my pictures in Photos and I like it.

But I’m loving RAW Power and I’d surmise it is only going to get better as I use the app.

I’ll check out the filters aspect. Thanks.

I believe using the best tool for the job. Any picture of mine is being touched by FastRAWviewer, RAW Photo, SetEXIFdata and Affinity Photo before it is done.

I do not use JPG, since every time you make a change and save it back to the JPG file, the quality degrades. I use TIFF, which can be edited as often as you want without loss of quality. There are many other lossless formats, such as PNG.

I, too, make backup copies, but the heavy-duty editing happens in Affinity Photo. There I use layers to make non-destructive edits. If I don’t like the edit, I throw away the layer. It’s similar to you making copies before an edit, except it’s all within a TIFF file. At any time can I go back, see all the edits in all the layers and keep tweaking.

If I did not work with layers, I would make copies, too.

1 Like

I do a lot of digital scrapbooking and so I’m quite familiar with layers. Love them

Thanks for the jpeg warning.

I tried to get my money back from Apple :green_apple: for buying Affinity Photos. Lol! Every time I open that app i get ticked off because I just don’t know what to do with it.

People here convinced me to wait a while and try again so that’s what I’ll do.

I miss reading hard copy manuals. Now it’s all online which for me is harder with reference material.

Are you familiar with Procreate? So incredibly intuitive. I use that and Photoshop Elements for the scrapbooking. I also like it for drawing and if you don’t care for your last work, as you say, you can just delete the layer.

A thought just came to me. I wasn’t really aware that Affinity was working with layers. I mean, I’m sure I noticed but did it sink in? That could be why I was getting confused. I’ll take another look at it sooner rather than later!

A really interesting thread on which I have a few comments, that all turn out to be on stuff written by @veit :man_shrugging:

I could not agree more on this, and it’s a real black mark for Serif, I think. The Affinity products are top notch in so many ways but the RAW handling is mediocre at best. Such a shame from such a talented team.

You would not be alone in wishing it wasn’t. The DxO forums have some strong proponents of ditching the DAM component or breaking it out, but I don’t see it happening, especially since they added functionality to it in the latest release.

However, I pretty much ignore it now. I use Lightroom to ingest and tag my photos, and do some amount of other metadata work. When I have selected which photos I want to process, I fire them straight to PhotoLab via DxO’s plugin, where they appear as a project. I guess if I was going one photo at a time that could be annoying, but I will generally select the bunch I want to process from the latest shoot and send them over. Once I’m done in PhotoLab, they are exported from there and published. While the DAM is present, it is really only a temporary holder for the set of photos I am currently editing.

For my purposes, no RAW converter tops PhotoLab, though I have not tried Capture1 nor RAW Power.

Is that first statement correct? You seem to contradict it in the following statements. I thought Photos could process any RAW file that the OS has support for, which is extensive, but I’m sure excludes some non-mainstream formats, including Pentax Pixel-Shift images (that almost nothing can read). I only use Photos for stuff taken on my phone and one of the places my processed RAW files end up, as JPEGs.

I tried RAW Power. Not sure I like the interface though it was way simpler than some I have tried. But it fell down mightily on noise reduction. All it appeared to do was soften it, but it was still really obvious.

It could be an interesting proposition to use in conjunction with DxO’s PureRAW (or PhotoLab used for the same basic processing) to get rid of the noise (or indeed Topaz as @veit mentioned).

If you find something that can truly handle noise reduction, please let me know.

RAW Power did I nice job on exactly that as well as subtly enhancing other photos.

There is the Affinity Photo Workbook you could look at. IIRC it isn’t cheap, and it is currently out of stock. Perhaps you could search around and find a used copy.

1 Like

Two tools for noise reduction include On1 NoNoise AI and Topaz DeNMoise AI.

I use On1 and am happy with it, but it is slow on my Intel Mac mini. I have a friend who uses Topaz and she likes it as well.

Both have free trials so give them a try and see if one works for you.

Curious about the need for de-noisers. What equipment are you using that produces noisy files these days? I recall this being a significant problem in early DSLRs and digital photography (like 10+ years ago), but I rarely find myself needing them anymore.

Hehe, I recall our discussion on Affinity Photo that I was promoting. FWIW, I have had Procreate for years and simply cannot figure it out. So interesting how we find different things to be intuitive or not :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, back in the day this was a much greater problem. Today, not so much.

There are two main use cases where I use noise reduction.

1. Using a Canon R6 in low light, high ISO situations.
  2. Using a Canon PowerShot SX70 HS.

The PowerShot is a ‘throw in the daypack’ camera I take along when photography is not the main focus (pun!) of the outing. It is a very noisy camera.

1 Like