It's Here! (16") Excitedly setting it up

What configuration did you get?

1 Like

Snap :slight_smile: (20 Characters)

I love the braided magsafe cable. My usb C cables have so many kinks in them I know they’ll stop working at some point. This feels like quality.

2 Likes

That’s exactly the config that I’m almost certainly going to order, except mine will be the 14" :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sitting on the couch now (still getting things set up!) listening to music. The speakers are very good for music. Not much on the low end (just enough) but the highs and mids are quite nice.

3 Likes

I’m on an 13" M1 and there were a few apps I thought were native for a good 3 months before I realized they were running through Rosetta2. The performance is insane, even through emulation. Was getting super good frame rates in x86 games, for example. And not much of a noticeable hit to battery life with Rosetta2 either.

2 Likes

The 2Do app website still says “Ready for Mojave”. :slightly_smiling_face: I wouldn’t hold my breath for a Universal app.

1 Like

Just an update on the “Avoiding Rosetta” situation. (And yes, I get that it’s unnecessary to avoid it.)

Here are the apps that are a part of my regular workflow that require it. I’m looking at replacements and work-arounds for each, mostly just to annoy you all at this point :wink:

Easy to live without:

• Sonos Controller // Use iPad instead (sitting right here all the time)
  • 2Do // Trying “GoodTask” for now
  • Lossless Cut // installed on my Plex server Mac mini, which is where all the files end up anyway
  • Kid3 // replace with Meta (can also use Kid3 on Plex server)
  • Logos 9 // I barely use it any more, can easily live without
  • Intermedia AnyMeeting // Switch to Zoom or Facetime
  • Evernote // I think I can just wait them out. They’ll do it eventually and I can use the web until then. I mostly just use it as a file cabinet anyway.

No obvious replacement (This is where I’d like your help…know anything?)

• iGlasses - allows zooming/reframing of webcam for video meetings
  • Audacity - used to edit/trim mp3 recordings of meetings, events, lectures…
  • Shush - microphone manager; auto-mute mic on podcasts/web calls, keyboard un-mute
  • Whichspace - keyboard shortcuts to switch spaces, menu icon for current space
  • VNCViewer - this is probably the one that will do me in. I must be able to remote into computers using RealVNC servers
2 Likes

I am envious too but I love love love my MacBook Air!

1 Like

Check out Fission for editing MP3 Rogue Amoeba | Fission: Fast & Lossless Audio Editing

Screens for VNC Viewer

Also if you install Whichspace through homebrew, won’t that be native?

4 Likes

I’m just curious: why wouldn’t GarageBand or even QuickTime do what Audacity does for you?

It probably will but I can do it so quickly through Audacity. I’m not even creating a project (not saving it at least). I just open the M4A file, make the edits and trims where I want them, and export. Takes me <2 minutes and every time I’ve ever opened Garage Band it’s seemed like a big production.

Dunno. I’ll check it out though. I assumed that whatever version of Whichspace I could get from GitHub was the most recent?

Screens is included with SetApp, but I never checked to see if I can do multiple computers? I have about 10 computers in other places that I access currently via RealVNC. Could Screens handle that?

Give Quicktime a shot for this, if you haven’t already. You don’t even need to export anything. Open a file, make your trim, hit save, and you’re done. I use it for the occasional minor video edit for my wife’s job sometimes. It’s blazing fast.

1 Like

Are we talking about Quicktime Player or something else? I just opened a .wav in the Quicktime Player app on this Mac and I don’t see how to get a waveform editor?

In the Menu Bar, click Edit > Trim. Then you’ll see your editor. I don’t know if it will be powerful enough for your needs, but if it’s simple enough of a trim job, then it might be all you need.

1 Like

Ahh, gotcha. If I need to trim off only the beginning or the end, that will definitely work. I do a fair amount of trims (cuts) from the middle and cut/paste as well, so I’ll still need another option. It’s great to learn this is even available though, thanks!

1 Like

Re compatibility issues. How can I find out if my Catalina apps are compatible with Monterey.