It's May 2020. How's iCloud Drive looking?

Thats pretty diciplined! I wouldnt have the time nor attitude for it. But how you is testing a backup after making a change sufficient? Everytime timemachine spins up something can go wrong, no?

I managed computers and telephone systems for many years. Early in my career, before starting some work, I checked my logs which reported my backups had been running successfully for weeks. They had, in fact, been failing for the past three days. I screwed up a repair and lost three days of company data.

That time other people paid for my mistake. I try to not make the same ones twice. Yes, backup systems fail all the time.

1 Like

I also moved off Dropbox when they instituted the 3 device limit in 2018.

For day to day, it’s been very solid for me. Surprisingly, I really like the Desktop sync. Makes my working between computers seamless.

Two issues:

1. I feel like there are certain apps that I can’t use, because they don’t support iCloud. From what I’ve read on these forums, it’s because iCloud sync is just not where dropbox is. A bummer, I would really like to try Notebooks as an Evernote replacement.
  2. Am I crazy, or is dealing with files in Shortcuts way better with Dropbox than with Apple’s own iCloud? With iCloud, I only have access to the /Shortcuts/ folder, but it seems like with Dropbox, I can access any folder in the service. UGH!

if dropbox created one tier below the $9.99 a month tier, I would move back. But $120 a year, when iCloud solves most of my problems… too rich for me.

@wayneg, I would love to learn more about your process. Do you have a post about the details? I don’t want to thread hijack here.

1 Like

I suspect my process is very similar to many on this forum. Backups, like any insurance, exist to help us recover that which has been lost or damaged. I make local backups of all my data but I am selective with offsite backups. I start by determining what needs to be “insured”, for example my financial & medical records and family photographs. And what does not, files like music and movies I have ripped from originals that I own.

Next, I set up my offsite backup software and select that data that I consider irreplaceable. I run a first backup and check my logs to see if the software has reported any errors. Then I select a few files from the offsite backup, restore them to a temporary folder on my Mac, and open the spreadsheets, view the photos, etc. to verify they are good. If everything checks out I make myself a reminder to repeat this every month and I’m done.

I currently backup my home folder and an external SSD, so I do test restores from each location. Not counting download time, doing a test takes me about 10 minutes.

Just by thinking about your backups you are already way ahead of most computer users.

2 Likes