Nominations for January 2022 Software of the Month Club (nominations closed for January)

I nominate Tap Forms - it’s one that’s come a few times in the last year, and it should be interesting to both new and experienced users since it seems there’s always something new it could be used for.

10 Likes

Curio
zengobi.com

12 Likes

For 2022 I nominate

3 Likes

Discourse does offer a polling feature that allows you to insert a poll when creating a new topic, although I cannot verify that the polling options can be edited afterwards since I’ve never used it. Perhaps we could utilize this feature for the club?

Pros:

• A single consolidated lists of all the nominations
  • Nominators can nominate multiple apps at once, instead of being limited to one app per comment (see @anon41602260 above :wink:)

Cons:

• @beck would have to manually edit the post for every new nomination (again, assuming the poll can be edited at all in the first place)

How about we set a time period for nominations and then create the poll?

A suggestion: using the :heart: system, on the first day of the month, the app with the most :heart: s wins for that month. A reply to that post could link to a discussion thread about it, and also serve as a reminder that it has been covered.

I think a poll could become an administrative burden, where people ask for something to be added and someone has to make time to do that. I could be wrong.

If this annual thread gets too long, then a new thread could be created each month with nomination posts for the next month. The winner is selected and linked to the discussion post for that month/app, then a new nomination thread is created for nominations for the next month.
Sounds complicated in words, but in practice I don’t think it would be burdensome.

Pretend

January 1st

• someone checks the Nominations for Jan 2022 discussion and sees that HyperPlan has won.
  • Replies to HyperPlan post that whomever made with link to new discussion, “January 2022 - HyperPlan discussion”.
  • Adds a post at the end saying this thread is no longer active.
  • Creates “Nominations for Feb 2022” discussion thread where nominations can be posted.
  • During the month, Zoom meeting, fun ensues.

February 1st

• someone checks the “Nominations for Feb 2022” discussion and sees that Tinderbox has won.
  • Replies to Tinderbox post that whomever made with link to new discussion, “February 2022 - Tinderbox discussion”.
  • Adds a post at the end saying this thread is no longer active.
  • Creates “Nominations for Mar 2022” discussion thread where nominations can be posted.
  • During the month, Zoom meeting, fun ensues.

One issue with individual posts and using hearts that could come up is if there are many (let’s say 50 posts) then people would be less likely to go through all the posts which means that the earlier ones would probably get more hearts. Also that might be a pain for the moderator to sort through.

If there was a way to upvote/downvote like Reddit, then that would solve the individual posts getting lost.

Nominate hazel

https://www.noodlesoft.com/

The monthly nomination threads would take care of this.
If people’s choice didn’t get enough votes one month, they could nominate again. This would also take care of people losing interest, as they would stop nominating.

That’s a good point. I looked at doodle to see if they had an easy poll that users could add their own options but it didn’t seem that was possible. Doodle can duplicate a poll which could carry forward the entered options on a monthly basis

I nominate Hyper Plan.

3 Likes

@beck are we doing monthly nominations (should the title of this post be changed to January Nominations?), or are we just putting everything in here?

Good question. I’d assumed January, but honestly? I can’t justify taking the lead on something like this rn. :grimacing:

I suggest we treat this thread as “January Nominations”.

Here’s the voting up-thread so far by my count (adding hearts + original nominator)

Tap Forms - 11
Curio - 12
Typinator - 4
Hazel - 1
Hyper Plan - 5

Looks like Curio is what the committee recommended for January, and I move that @JohnAtl, the nominator, start a thread for discussing “January Software of the Month: Curio”. I’ll be happy to chime into that one, too.

Any different assessment / calculations / thoughts?

4 Likes

very sensible approach, I do not know anything about Curio but looking forward to know more

I sure hope this doesn’t cost me money! :slightly_smiling_face: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

The Curio discussion begins here:

would be really interested to see how this very matured product compared with the new (in-development) product (used to be called Meta, now call Heptabase)

They are different animals, I think. With Heptabase (currently) being more notes-focused.

I posted a new video on the Heptabase thread yesterday:

I am pretty sure @JohnAtl you know about both Curio and Heptabase a lot more than I do. I just thought that Heptabase could be good at being a whiteboard, project planner, mind mapping and note taking too, Keen to find out more

1 Like