Journal App Security and other Features

I did not know that was a thing, thanks!

first and foremost, congratulations and happy 40th anniversary

I used Obsidian for my daily journal. You can also looked into Journey , I bought a lifetime license on a promotion, not sure it is still available but since then I switched to Obsidian

Congratulations @Bmosbacker on reaching such a great milestone.

Well You may try and switch todo apps and note taking apps like there is no tomorrow :joy::joy: but this is wonderful news.

Nick

2 Likes

Nope, I’m good on the todo, note taking and writing apps. A journal app was the “missing” piece. :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m blessed. I considered Obsidian (and Craft) but neither have the ability to secure notes within the app. I hope one or both of them eventually add that feature.

I am late to the thread but I was going to recommend Devonthink.

There is even a template specially formulated for this purpose. I don’t specifically journal but I do document things and events (e.g today I went to the dentist).

Then if ever I need to remember anything its is there. Devonthink truly is my second Brain. Data>New from Template>Journal entry.

1 Like

I have to say that whereas in the past I was using DT as a powerful utility (OCR, file conversion, etc.), I now have DT running all the time and rather than indexing research and other materials/folders, I’m now importing them.

As I use DT consistently I’m discovering features that are not immediately obvious. An example is the ability to OCR a PDF on the iPad using DTTG. I knew I could OCR on the Mac but did not realize I could do so on the iPad using DTTG.

DT is becoming a powerful mainstay in my workflow.

I had backed off of using DT a while ago based on reports of corrupted files. To avoid this concern, in addition to DT’s backup and my normal backups with BB and Time Machine, I have a monthly task to export all of the files and folders in DT to a DT archive, which will also be backed up. This should be as nearly failsafe as one can get.

I’ll check out the journal template!

2 Likes

I currently use a combination of a paper notebook (as secure as I physically make it!) for my morning pages, and Bear for interstitial journalling through the day.

I stumbled across this idea, though. Creating a calendar and using it to record historical events rather than future events. Intriguing - although this article is for Google Calendar, I dare say the same could be done for Apple, maybe with some shortcuts to make it easy to journal through the day. Of course, retrieving items may be a bigger challenge. Not at all what you’re looking for, I think, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case others get mileage. Maybe I need to look properly at a calendar app that lets me have multiple attachments, good search, maybe tagging and decent note-taking functionality.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/google-calendar-personal-journal/

It would seem that a note application that is date focused and or that provides a daily note might handle this well. The obvious candidates include NotePlan, Craft, Agenda, Obsidian and more.

That said, I tried NotePlan, which I like a lot, but the bullet journaling approach to notes and tasks doesn’t work for me. My brain is project oriented, not date oriented. :grinning:

The Aeon Timeline app could be be a great way to scratch this itch.

2 Likes

You would be well served to monitor the DEVONthink forum for matters of DEVONthink.

if you sign up to Obsidian sync , that supports end to end encryption with user assigned passphrase

Yes, I did look into that but I don’t want to spend $100/year for it. :grin:

Such a shame. It doesn’t appear to be working for me, I just get an internal server error page come up. Look perfect for me

I notice it has not been updated for a few years

1 Like

Just tried it, same problem. Sorry.

The review I read was dated March 2021.

1 Like

Verify the contents of the files are still intact. I am doing full checksums verification on all my remaining DT files at most of the backups.

Thanks for the advice. Do you do that manually or is there a way to automate that within DT?

Yes, can be automated to verify, backup, etc … I’ve not done it as it’s no big deal to pick the menu command, though. The Apple Script command in the DEVONthink Library is “verify database”.

I’m sure you could get advice, and someone may even point you to an existing automation script, or even write one for you, at the DEVONthink forum where there is a lot of valuable contributions re automation.

Niggling in the back of my mind is that in the last year or so they added an automatic feature to do a verify of some sort each time the database is opened. Check out the documentation to confirm.

Until you write something different or better, check out the supplied scripts to “Verify and Optimise Databases” and “Check File Integrity of Databases”.

There’s a whole lot of other scripts there waiting for you to discover, should you wish.

Thanks, you are always helpful!!