Keep It v2, Obsidian native alternative?

I really would like Keep it if (1) it wasn’t that buggy and (2) it wasn’t that slow. Even when running on a Mac Studio there are constant lags when using the application and there are crashes all the time.
@developer: please re-write this application. The concept is good.

2 Likes

To me, the real benefit of KeepIt (in spite of having a sloooooow sync over icloud) is the native text recognition in images and pdfs, just as Evernote used to do it. I am currently playing around with a strategy to have my Obsidian Vault inside the Keepit directory and thereby access to both features. Until Obsidian can search images and pdfs, that is.

OmniSearch Plugin
https://github.com/scambier/obsidian-omnisearch

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call KeepIt’s sync slow. It just seems to want to move lots of files lots of times, seemingly in lots of directions. I’ve never understood what on earth it is doing all the time.

2 Likes

Yep, you’re probably right. It feels as if it has a lot of tasks to process changes to icloud. That said @shandy’s mentioning of the OmniSearch plugin might be the way to get everything all at once? I’m a little scared of slowing Obsidian down but there’s good proof I needn’t. Maybe it’s time to test the syncing for a one-fits-all- solution?

Fwiw, I tested KeepIt a few years ago (prior to adopting Obsidian in 2021) and experienced the same issues with long sync times, and, in my case, some files not syncing at all.

Meanwhile, Obsidian remains (for me) as fast as ever, with thousands of notes, images and PDFs, and rock-solid syncing. The Omnisearch plugin covers most of the Evernote-style search/OCR functionality which Obsidian lacks out-of-the-box.

1 Like

thanks man! That was just what I needed to put some time in and migrate.

1 Like