My wife and I have been discussing our hardware setup for the beginning of the Fall School Year during this COVID-19 reality.
Here is our situation:
- We have three kids. One is a high schooler and the other two are twins in 5th grade.
- Our daughter has a Macbook Air and we have a 2012 Mac Mini as a family computer. I use a Macbook Pro 16 inch as my work and personal computer.
- School District used Microsoft Teams last year for distance learning. But our school district has not announced any plans for the Fall as yet. The state has mandated that school districts must announce their plans before August 1. We start in September after Labor Day.
I let the kids use my Macbook last Fall but it was not the best solution. I need my MacBook for work. I would like to get another device for them to use for their work. I am wondering what others are using for kids devices, especially when you have multiple kids working at the same time.
The things I was considering were:
- Buy a new family Mac. But our 2012 Mini does adequate job for what the family needs. I was not planning on replacing this as of yet, and wanted to wait for the new Apple Silicon Macs.
- Buy an iPad. This might be sufficient for the kids. It would run teams, and I can now set up with a keyboard and mouse.
- Buy a cheap Windows laptop. I am sure it would work well with Teams. I don’t think it would have any other use than homework. I have not used Windows for 10+ years (XP) so I am a little concerned about maintenance and support of an addition device outside the Apple ecosystem.
- Buy a Chromebook. Don’t know anything about Chromebooks or how well this would work with Teams.
Other solutions? What are your setups for your kids?