Latest USB hub recommendations

I am in the market for a new USB hub for my iMac. I remember that @MacSparky was recommending the HooToo devices a while ago (below). This does not seem to be available now in the UK.

Has anyone got a recommendation for a rock solid hub that they have been pleased with? Many thanks.

I have two of these.

Search Wirecutter to see their recommendations too.

1 Like

I like this one because it puts ports where I need them. It connects to a USB-C port. There might be other models for USB-A.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078853NCS

2 Likes

I just went through this search – the Wirecutter rec has been “unavailable” (from amazon US, at least) for awhile now, so I ended up trying the amazon basics version, which I just put into service yesterday.

It appears in the System Report as a USB 3.1 device, and the three more-power ports also pass data. Replacing an older Tripplite hub seems to have put to rest some USB gremlins I’d been having; I was also surprised how tiny the amazon basics hub is (the device, but not the power brick or the extra long amounts of electrical leads.)

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback all. I am finding that several of the highly rated models are not available in the UK so will need to search carefully. Anker gear is available and looks good.

Also, it appears that some which are being promoted are not data hubs, just USB chargers so need to ensure that I do not buy the wrong thing! :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I have a 12” Macbook, so I just have the one USB-C port. I recently got the Anker 7-in-1 hub, and I’m pretty happy with it.

1 Like

Has anyone had issues with using a USB 3 hub with a USB-C dock? I have a CalDigit dock and find that it often doesn’t see all the ports on the hub unless I unplug it and plug it back in. Even then it sometimes doesn’t work.

Have ordered one of these Anker devices, same as @bowline is using. Arriving today. Will post how it is when up and running.

2 Likes

I picked up this Anker hub several years ago. It continues to serve me well.

1 Like

Same here, this one works great for the last 18 months or so! Recommend it highly.

1 Like