Learning to Master and "Love" Apple Mail

It is amazing what is often hiding in plain sight.

JJW

2 Likes

FWIW Samsung says the T7 is 2x the speed of the T5. It doesn’t appear to be any slower than the internal SSD (booting, launching apps, etc.) but I do very little on the mac besides browser, file management, backups, the occasional spreadsheet, and to run my Plex server. So I seldom do anything that stresses the hardware.

I use my iPad Pro for almost everything including managing Photos and editing videos (LumaFusion).

The photos library on my Mac mini home server is on an external RAID array. No issues syncing it with iCloud.

1 Like

Yes, it is my entire home folder. None of my data is on the internal boot ssd.

1 Like

@MacSparky has a great AppleScript to get a link from an e-mail message. It’s one of my most used AppleScripts. AppleScript to Link to Apple Mail Message - MacSparky

4 Likes

Awesome! I’ve been looking for this for years. This solves the problem of internal storage for iCloud Drive! Will do this ASAP, thank you!

In these days of 128GB Macs and 1TB iPads it confuses me why “mobile” mail apps download on demand and “desktop” ones default (and often insist) on downloading the whole kit and caboodle. For reasons many would lose their minds over if I divulged them (though see below), my work inbox is enormous, and if I want to view “a handful of emails” at home in Outlook, I have to download everything.

The greatest reason for previews is to see an email without sending a read-receipt, so you can cherry pick whose emails you’ve “seen”. :grin:

With no disrespect to all those who meet this criteria, I don’t manage email and it doesn’t manage me, and I’ve been a lot happier since I stopped trying to manage it. See above about inbox size.

Oh, and if we’re wanting to use email as intended, then no more HTML. :wink: Yes, I used to be one of those people.

2 Likes

Thanks for starting this topic and for reminding us of the possibilities. I have to say I too have this constant feeling of having to manage things better with e-mail (mostly too many e-mails sitting in my inbox).

I have been using Apple Mail ever since it appeared (I used Eudora before that time, if anybody remembers it) and never changed to anything else, lest I would lose mails, boxes, settings, you name it. But I have to say every now and then I did look at alternatives, they just weren’t convincing enough.

Right now I keep e-mails that need some kind of action on my part in my inbox, but have a few smart boxes (such as “reimbursements”, “orders in transit”, etc., basically anything that require an action by somebody else) and I’m very happy with the Smallcubed plugins. I’m eagerly awaiting their iOS version, so that I can sync tags etc. (they’re working on an app, Mail for iOS wouldn’t allow plugins as such). I really couldn’t manage without the tickle dates, keywords etc.
Other than that, I always wish I would manage my workflow better, but I’m aware that anything I move out of my mailbox gets forgotten, just as things that I move off my physical desk. Once a certain email has been taken care of it gets archived and moved out of the inbox or its smartfolder.
Also, I like “active” emails to be in my inbox so that they are accessible from my iOS devices too. Everything else gets downloaded and moved onto a local folder (with tags if necessary).

3 Likes

As for moving things onto external drives I never quite liked the idea, although I’m very aware of the space constraints. I did it earlier with music and photos (the latter still applies, just too many), but I consider it a necessary evil, not a good solution.
That’s obviously my personal view, but it feels like things are slipping from me and that I’m no longer in control. I like the idea of having everything right there with me at all times, which is why I always go for the biggest local storage I can find, but even so I always end up running out of space.
I’ve used iCloud for photos before, but really disliked it, as it pushed onto my iPhone pictures from 10 years ago or longer (from mac.com times) which I definitely did not need there. I have since deactivated it, but it took me a while to go thought thousands of photos and make sure that everything was where it needs to be.

I sometimes miss analogue life! (You know physical pictures in shoe boxes, letters with actual stamps…)

2 Likes

I always turn Send Receipt off.

3 Likes

[Looks for emoji called “scowl”] :grin:

In a corporation full of Outlook users, your type are not common. :grin:

I do leave read receipts on, but if anyone ever asks “did you get my email?” my response is generally “I’m sure I did, but I bet the question you really want the answer for is did I read it, or am I going to do anything about it?” A read receipt is tacit permission from me to follow up on it. If your email is unimportant (so far) then I will only preview it.

Actually, the more common use of preview for me is we have a couple of shared mailboxes in my team — one for matters relating to production servers and one for non-production servers. We have a system of marking emails with categories to show who has “picked up” the email for action. And… this is important… if an email is left as “unread” then it is still awaiting (if uncategorised) or still under (if categorised) action. There is nothing worse than getting a follow-up email from someone asking why we haven’t got back to them because someone double-clicked it to take a look and decided not to action but did not go back and mark it unread. If everyone just used the preview pane to “scope out” (and ignore) these emails, that’d never happen.

2 Likes

Stupid question but where do I turn this on/off?

1 Like

The only thing that drives me nuts is that it marks an email as read as soon as it is touched… that is soooo 90’s. I even got the Mailsuite from Smallcubed that fixes that behaviour, but I found that it can be at time heavy on the battery and since they are now moving to a subscription mechanism I have dumped it.

I’ve learned otherwise to love with apple mail because at the end is the simplest way to get mail links, especially for my work exchange account - and that is how I managed my temporary knowledge base and task links.

4 Likes

I have had a similar experience.

Used many different mail clients over the years but have always returned to Apple mail for the same reasons you have mentioned.

Have not bothered trying anything else for the last few years as Apple mail fulfils my needs.

3 Likes

You can use the excellent Hook app to provide a link to Apple mail (and most everything else)

4 Likes

I’m not able to find how to use column view. I’m still using Mojave. Is it available in Mojave but I just can’t figure out how to switch into it? Thanks. Reid

I don’t remember it “not” being in Mojave version of Mail, but now in Big Sur (all I have) it’s Menu: View/Use Column Layout. Might be different words. Dunno.

@Reid Here is a pic of my inbox with the view menu opened if that helps. I’m running Big Sur but I’m certain this view was available in prior OS’s.

1 Like

@Reid If I remember correctly from Mojave, you should look for something like “Classic Layout” on Mail Preferences.

1 Like

You could try and use the Terminal?! I used this command several years ago, but I’m not sure if this still works with Big Sur:

defaults write com.apple.Mail MarkAsReadDelay 0

The 0 is given in seconds as far as I know.