Least helpful warning dialog ever?

I downloaded the latest version of Monterey (12.3.1) and have since been getting this seemingly-random recurrent dialog, so far only while I’m not using the computer. The dialog states “The file can’t be found”. It is usually waiting for me when I wake from sleep, this morning there were 6-8 of them tiled one on top of the other. When you click the “?” it opens up a larger window that is… just completely blank. Anybody have anything? Because I am at a complete loss.

See this thread …

JJW

2 Likes

I wish I could remember where I recently saw an error pop-up that said “An error has occurred” with just an OK button.

This is a classic dialog box, used by many developers over the years. Language is the issue here, as it is definitely not OK. A different label for the button would be better, like perhaps “Cancel”, “Sorry” or “Damn!”

1 Like

Ha! The phrase “No that is NOT OK!” has crossed my mind many times, and even my lips occasionally. :laughing:

I recently sent an enhancement request to IBM for one of their products, suggesting rewording buttons in a couple of warnings because they irritate me on a regular basis. The basic approach is buttons should wherever possible use active verbs.

Check this out. I knew I had kept this but only recently found it again in a major tidy up. This is from a style guide for programmers. The graphics might give the game away, but guess what year this was published.

1 Like

Looks like late 1980s to early 90s to me. Style manuals are great (if you use them).

The example of Leading vs Line space is still confusing people, as all major graphics and typography dialogs insisted on keeping it.

The word itself is ambiguous - in this context it refers to the metal lead, and how many thin bars of lead spacing that should be set between each line of text in your printing press. Not exactly top-of-mind. These days, we tend to read the word as “being in the lead” in an ongoing competition for instance.

The answer was in fact 1993. It was for developers on Acorn RISCOS — from the original ARM-based computer, the Acorn Archimedes. It’s still my favourite OS of all time. My second favourite — macOS — has adopted features from it. Though macOS will never get them all, more’s the pity.

Yes, I understand leading because my father was an editor and my brother a graphic designer — not because it’s in any way obvious! On the other hand “line spacing” is explicit even without the context.

1 Like

It was indeed BTT, thanks to all who replied and for the entertaining and relevant history!

3 Likes