LG 5k died, Studio Display long-term reviews

@Jezmund_Berserker

Thank you for the input. As I have actually been considering buying an EV, your comments are quite helpful.

I recognized that to some extent buying a Tesla is paying the Tesla tax. I don’t argue that the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq are likely better value for the dollar (I haven’t looked at the other models you mentioned, so I don’t know enough to have an opinion).

One of my partners has the Ioniq 5, and I will say that I found the seats quite uncomfortable, and it think the car is ugly. Not being much of a “car guy,” I don’t usually get hung up on things like the exterior appearance, color, etc, but this car just turns me off. Although I was leaning towards an SUV, I am likely to test drive an Ioniq 6 sedan which is, I think, a much nicer appearing car and is probably a better value than the competitor Tesla Model 3.

One thing that does really bother me from an ergonomics standpoint with the Tesla is the huge iPad in the middle of the console, which I cannot imagine is not annoying, not to mention it takes your attention away from looking forward to do virtually anything. Still, every time I mention that to a Tesla owner, the response is that it is not a big deal, so maybe I will find it acceptable in a test drive.

Anyway, back to the OT. I have, at present, 2 Studio Displays. One is on the fixed height stand, and I have it positioned on my desk with a Grovemade deskshelf in front of it, and it works quite well for me. I had it ON the desk shelf and that was too high up. The other is on a monitor arm to the left side.

I also have an older LG 4K 27" to the right, for my 3 monitor setup. My wife thinks I need to get another Studio Display so they are all the same, but I cannot justify yet another 1500 dollars or so…

Frankly I would have loved the Pro Display XDR, but could not come close to justifying that price…maybe the new Dell 6K 32" - although it does not match the Studio Display, much less, the XDR, in brightness/constrast from what I have read thus far.

Try the Kia Niro. The EV6 is the “hot” car, the Ioniq is the “edgy” (ugly) car, and the Niro is the best bang for the buck I’ve seen in electric cars.

Some follow up: I’ve now obtained and installed a second Studio display and would highly recommend it :slight_smile:

They’re both plugged into an CalDigit Elements Hub which is driving them nicely whilst also giving me my full 900mbps+ speed through an ethernet adapter, so a hearty recommendation there too :slight_smile:

2 Likes