Link to page in pdf

Dear MPU community,

After reading here for a while I decided to join this great forum with my very first question. I’m currently trying to figure out how to link to a page in a pdf file and open this link with preview.

I got this far

<a href=“file:///…/Library/Mobile%20Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/Z/Wendling.pdf#page=86”

(I omitted the “>” sign so that the link becomes visible here)

However, this only opens up the pdf inside the Finder app and not the respective page in preview.

Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance for your time!

I’m not sure if Preview or the Finder supports this. I know DEVONthink does, for PDFs you store there. You might also want to look at the Hook app, which integrates with various apps and allows deeper linking with many of them.

Thanks so much Evan! Just played around with DT and found the function. It’s also using a handler like zotero with a database identifier instead of the filename

x-devonthink-item://1AEDAFAC-0718-4EF1-A3EC-60825321E48B?page=1

Definitely well implemented. However and as with Zotero, I would prefer to link to the file inside my Finder folders with the name of the pdf to keep those links future proof.

1 Like