Liquid Text Alternative

Seems like there are only hacks to get around this: Zotfile, Zothero, etc. I annotate in PDF expert, then copy to Obsidian (reference included) and assemble things in there. Seems ripe for a one stop solution.

1 Like

Thanks for the alert. I just checked out the news on the developer’s website. It seems that the local-only versions will continue to work and exist. The subscription is primarily for the sync service. In what sense are the standalone versions useless now?

Yes, and we can save a LT file to iCloud if we want, and open it on another device. Clunky for 2021, but it works.

The pro version is not useless. But you should expect that any new noticeable, whether local or cloud features, will be put behind the paywall of the subscription.

I’ve asked their CEO about if new local features would be available for purchase for pro users. The answer was “maybe”. So it’s in their financial interest to only sell subscriptions from now on.

2 Likes

As has been said. New development will go behind their paywall. Those who bought the Mac version now have no means to sync between that and the iOS version. They should have stated; when they released the Mac version; that sync would be behind an £80 per year paywall and I would not have purchased it. This has angered many users who already pay for iCloud.

The difficulty now is that every new iteration will push you to the paywall, which means at some point an alternative needs to be found. It might still function well now, but do I want to invest my docs in LT, when I know that I will need to move everything out of there at some point? The more I put in the more work later. It’s perhaps easier to drop using it now and find an alternative.

1 Like