Live / real-time sound filtering for Zoom (etc.)?

Is there a program/app for the Mac (and iOS, if it exists) that will filter/gate, etc. live audio as it feeds into Zoom, MS Teams, etc?

Just received in the mail my new (IndieGoGo) Tula microphone.

Tula microphones

It is cute (seriously small!) and the built-in noise reduction is GOOD(!); but I’d like a little more… [[It’s 1/8 the size/weight of my other portable mic!]]

But, it picks up everything!! (even with its internal noise filter on) – I’d like to filter out a little more.

Don’t get me wrong, it automatically (somehow) filters out my refrigerator’s motor sounds and the noise of my A/C air-flow; but it still picks up my breathing (in) and anytime I touch my clothes.

Sigh

I know of a lot of macOS and iOS programs that can filter these things out during recording or after I’ve recorded things.

Can any program / app filter out these things live, while I’m on Zoom and MS Teams calls? – This thing is SO small, I want to use it everywhere!

It just seems to be a little hot and too sensitive to use live unless I want to let folks hear my every inhalation, “sniff” and clothing touch.

It’s also a small, stand-alone audio-recorder; when it records sound internally, it records two files (normal/“raw” .mp3 which has no noise suppression and a fantastic noise-suppresed file that is nearly fit for broadcast – LIVE recordings don’t have that great suppression).

Thanks!

–Tim

P.S. Early test recording (sounds somewhat tinny to me! … 2021 - 03 - 13 - Unedited - -test - Of - New - Microphone by TimRaymond | Tim Raymond | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Zoom has excellent sound filtering, if you go to the audio preferences and set the filtering to HIGH, it works really well.

1 Like

Audio Hijack can apply effects live. I use noise reduction, EQ and compression anytime I’m going to be speaking on Zoom for more than a few minutes.

Dang that Tula mike is one nice looking piece of kit. And tula means “shut up” in Zulu - how appropriate.

1 Like

Have you looked at Loopback?

You might need to combine it with something like Audio Hijack to do the filtering, I’ve only just grabbed a licence myself, but I know a lot of my fellow podcast and screencast creators use it!

1 Like

https://www.waves.com/plugins/ns1-noise-suppressor

I use Soundsource with the NS1 plugin to teach music lessons. Though I’m using it to filter sounds from poor sources from my students and not my own input. That’s where loopback might come I to play. There lots of good built in filters, but the NS1 is at another level.

Also, maybe your mic is too hot or too close to your face. Play around with placement and volume to see if will reduce sensitivity.

1 Like

@dfay I hadn’t considered the “temptations” I would create – Sorry! :wink:

@RosemaryOrchard & @NiceMarmut I love Rogue Amoeba! Thank you for the suggestion! … I have Audio Hijack (somehow dropped off their upgrade path and still went back and bought it [newer version] again!).

Audio Hijack and https://otter.ai keep me sane! :slight_smile:

how do you like otter?

1 Like

Hi there,

I like Otter.ai a lot!

They offer a free trial w/ a large amount of transcription using the app (live, or, I suppose using one’s phone to monitor another source playing an audio file). Do note that one only gets three file uploads transcribed (total!).

I think it is even more accurate than the Google/YouTube algorithm for making closed captioning.

I used Otter for a few projects where I uploaded an audio file to Otter and then used the output to upload to YouTube as the “script file.” That gave me a better transcript for closed captioning than my first test run just using YouTube’s native processor.

YMMV, set up a free account and test it. I’m interested to learn if others have similar experiences to mine! :slight_smile:

— Tim.

1 Like

I’ve spent some time with Otter.ai and have been impressed.

It’s worth noting that Zoom has a built-in Auto-Transcription that appears to be powered by Otter.ai. This feature needs to be enabled under Zoom.us Settings. I believe it’s currently only available on paid Zoom plans.

Automatically transcribed text can be viewed as captions or in a sidebar (that even identifies who’s speaking). You can save the transcript to a text file (without speaker names) before ending the meeting.

1 Like