Location-based HomeKit doesn't work

I was excited by Rosemary Orchard’s idea to have a Homebridge Dummy Switch that will indicate if someone is home. I decided I’d give it a go and cannot get it working. To confirm it wasn’t the Homebridge Dummy Switch I also asked an Eve Flare to turn on when I get home.

It seems that my HomeKit set up isn’t recognising my location. The primary Home Hub is the original HomePod.

I googled around and have done the following:

• Confirmed that my iPhone is my sharing location device (Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Share My Location > My Location)…although my iPad also is Sharing My Location.
  • Confirmed that HomeKit has access to my location (Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Home > While Using). There isn’t an option for always? and Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > HomeKit enabled)

I also tried resetting my Location & Privacy (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy)

…and have rebooted many many times and it still won’t acknowledge me arriving home.

Anyone got any thoughts on how to fix?

OK…solved my own problem!

I followed this guide. Seems the one that did the trick was the setting my location to a different device then re-enabling on the iPhone.

2 Likes