Locked PDF file - how to save unlocked

I received a renewal auto insurance policy from the insurance company in the form of a “locked” PDF file. Saving the PDF file in my standard macOS file system results in the same “locked” file. How do I unlock this file for future use? I have the so-called password to unlock this file, but I don’t want the annoyance of saving and maintaining this annoying password going forward.

I understand that “locking” PDF files with passwords is not really that secure, so I don’t understand the value of locked PDF files.

You can do CMD/ALT+P which will bring up the print pop up, in there for macOS look for the option to save as PDF. If it’s for Windows, there should be a Print to PDF ‘printer’ option.

1 Like

To make things even faster you can use MacSparky’s tip on creating a shortcut for “Save as PDF” .

2 Likes

Thanks, that worked. And thank you to @rebornrock for MacSparky’s procedure reminder.

1 Like

You can also check out QPDF and even create a Hazel rule that uses it for documents such as account statements that you receive routinely. This forum post might be of help.

Thanks so much for sharing, great shortcut!