Logitech MX Master Mouse - Tips & Tricks?

In the thread above, lots of folks mentioned driving the Logitech (Logi) MX Master 2S (or the older “MX Master” version).

Reviews & pricing: Amazon Link for 2S in Graphite

There are a lot of programmable buttons on it and this is MPU so…what are you doing with all those options?!

Interesting I was looking at this mouse and came across the Patuoxun (fraction of the price) on Amazon, if I am correct a few people had mentioned problems clicking on the Logitech and and with click-and-drag not functioning correctly after a while. Interesting to know if anyone has tried the budget version Mentioned (I can’t imagine it will be amazing for the price).

1 Like

I am using the Logitech M720 Triathlon. Like the MX Master, it has a couple thumb buttons. I use the thumb buttons for forward/back in Finder and browsers, but I have mapped them to the shortcut keys for some macros I made for Word and Excel to highlight/unlight the selection.

I do lots of comparing things in one document against things in another, so the ability to quickly apply/clear a highlight is very helpful for that workflow. Here is how I do it:

In Word or Excel:

1. Make a macro to highlight the selection and assign a keyboard shortcut to it
  2. Do the same for a macro to clear the highlight on the selection.
  3. In Word, you want to save the macro in the Normal template (Normal.dotm)
  4. In Excel, you want to save the macro in your personal workbook which usually gets created the first time you try to save a macro in it.

In Logitech Options program for mouse:
Configure the thumb buttons to send keypress events for the shortcuts you defined. Logitech Options has the ability to customize the button mapping per application.

Read on for the actual macros I use in Word and Excel 2016 for Mac. First the Excel macros:

Sub HighlightSelectionYellow()
'
' HighlightSelectionYellow Macro
' Highlights the selecion in yellow.  Made so I can assign a keyboard shortcut to be used with my Logitech mouse buttons.
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+y
'
    With Selection.Interior
        .Pattern = xlSolid
        .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .Color = 65535
        .TintAndShade = 0
        .PatternTintAndShade = 0
    End With
End Sub
Sub HighlightSelectionNone()
'
' HighlightSelectionNone Macro
' Remove Highlight. Made so I can assign a keyboard shortcut for use with my Logitech mouse buttons
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+g
'
    With Selection.Interior
         .Pattern = xlNone
        .TintAndShade = 0
        .PatternTintAndShade = 0
    End With
End Sub

Now the Word macros:

Sub HighlightSelectionYellow()
'
' Remove the highlight of the selected text
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+y

Selection.Range.HighlightColorIndex = wdYellow
End Sub

Sub HighlightSelectionNone()
'
' Remove the highlight of the selected text
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+g

Selection.Range.HighlightColorIndex = wdNoHighlight
End Sub
1 Like

Well, you probably won’t want to customize the side buttons because they are super useful with the standard configuration (back, forward, and horizontal scroll).

The gesture button is where the real customization lives. That’s the button that sits right under your thumb and the software that Logitech ships with the mouse (Logitech Options) allows you to give it 5 distinct functions: 1 when you click it, and another 4 when you click it and drag it let, right, up, or down (you can choose some presets as well, but it is nice that they let you do whatever you want with each click or gesture).

I keep mine on:

• Left: go to the desktop on the left
  • Right: go to the desktop on the right
  • Up: Increase screen brightness
  • Down: Decrease screen brightness
  • Click: Show desktop

My keyboard (Logitech K780) doesn’t have brightness up and down buttons, so I just transferred that functionality to the mouse. However, you can mute, use smart zoom, and even setup macros with Logitech Options. For a while I had it trigger Keyboard Maestro macros by making it type key combinations when clicking and dragging it up or down, but I changed it because I use my K780 a lot and I feel it is quite intuitive to change brightness with these gestures.

2 Likes

I had to give up using this button because it was causing RSI issues. I use the button just below the middle scroll wheel sometimes, but everything else has been left as the default!

1 Like

While I never had any issues with it, I do agree that it feels awkward to click a button with the side of your thumb.

2 Likes

I am mainly using it for things you can use the trackpad for: swiping between desktops, expose and view desktop.

I did setup a couple of app specific shortcuts, but I don’t use them. Probably should set up more, but I think I prefer keyboard shortcuts.

The scroll wheel which keeps on going is really nice too.

Personally I would rather have the trackpad, but it gives me really bad rsi, and this mouse gives me all the features of the trackpad and it’s very comfortable.

1 Like

I loved the gesture button but mine kept getting stuck. I had to stop using it and turn off all of its mapping’s sadly because when it is stuck it doesn’t allow me to do anything until I stick something sharp in the plastic/rubber part and lift it up.

Have you ran into that yet?

2 Likes

I really can’t get the Gesture button to work or maybe I’m unsure of how to use it. I’d like to though.

No. I have been using the Master almost everyday since 2015 — I still keep the original in my backpack and the second gen Master in my office — and never had that happen. I would probably contact Logitech because it sounds like you got a defective unit.

1 Like

I had issues with this after a few years. I could use a knife to unstick it, but in the end I gave up and got the mx 2 which hasn’t had any problems yet.

When I was having the problem, I looked online at it seemed like a pretty common issue. At this point I just use the side scrolling wheel to change desktops. I do slightly miss the gesture button though.