Logseq, an open source Roam alternative

Logseq is an open source, user-controlled alternative to Roam Research. Looks extremely promising. Howeve: “It’s only for the testing purpose now, please don’t write any serious notes without login.”

2 Likes

In that comment about “it” being only for testing purposes, “it” refers to the local version not saving notes permanently. Currently, if you want to save the notes that you write, you need to sync with Github.

The current risk of using Logseq with Github is the following:

Notice that this project is in its early days and under quick development, files might be corrupted.

So, if you use Github to sync your notes, they will be saved, but there is a risk of corruption. If you use the local version, your notes will not be saved. (Users more savvy than I might be able to retrieve the notes database from the browser with some browser-fu, but I am unsure on that point.)

1 Like

I’m keeping my eye on this one but I don’t think it’s ready for me to trust yet.

I’ve got time off around the holidays and may take a closer look then.

1 Like

long time lurker, first time commentor, but i had to comment on this thread @MitchWagner to see how the process of using logseq is going. they’ve released the desktop app (a few iterations i believe) and while quite a roam replacement built off of local text files (!), it is still very much, developing, so am curious if you had any more experience with it. i was reading @ryanjamurphy beautiful descriptions and processes of how he uses obsidian, and was thinking about how logseq could be a companion to obsidian as a daily journal, a scratchpad to record thoughts and ideas and then make sense of them/translate into obsidian as necessary. the friction between just writing in logseq just feels so much lighter than doing so in obsidian, but that may just be personal preference to differentiate between disparate thoughts (daily journals) and ideas (potential zettalkasten interlinking).

2 Likes

I found logseq confusing and put it aside. I like Obsidian. I make take another look at Logseq, and will be even more interested when they have a mobile app.

I do like the idea of using blocks rather than documents as the atomic unit.

2 Likes

I must say, I like the presentation of logseq. And that you don’t have to go into and out of edit/preview mode.
If nothing else, it might be a good adjunct to Obsidian.

2 Likes

Not sure whether it has changed in the interim Mitch. To me its very much like Roam interface and fairly intuitive. Compared to Obsidian its a different paradigm as there is minimal folder organisation. But as @JohnAtl says, at least you don’t have to go in and out of edit/preview.

Just getting into it, but was seriously impressed with the in-app PDF handling and highlighting.

Tempted by the Logseq mastery course, but its not cheap - anyone here recommend it?

1 Like