Looking for a web highlighter that archives articles

This may get sorted in in a couple of months (or weeks if you want to try out the betas).

1 Like

Apple says they’ll support the WebExtensions API but there’s a real thicket in that statement. All other major browsers say they support that API too, and yet you cannot use Chromium extensions on Firefox or vice versa.

The devil’s in the details.

1 Like

Yes! I was jumping out my seat when I saw that. I can’t wait. However, as @bowline points out, the extensions need to be recompiled specifically for Safari with XCode. I don’t know how many devs will care to do so.

Did ever decide on a solution to this? You were looking for exactly the kind of solution I am, highlight in browser, archive (preferably to DEVONthink) and extract highlights for a zettelkasten.

So far I’m coming up empty on a good workflow. Liner does everything but archive, DEVONthink is awesome on its own but the workflow introduces so much resistance for working in realtime. Instapaper, GoodLinks, Pocket, Cubox, etc. are all awesome and have less friction than DEVONthink but still aren’t immediate and often have other compromises. Plus there’s rarely a good way to then get the article into DEVONthink with highlights intact.

Not really I’m afraid. None of the highlighters I found were either working well or reasonably priced. The way I do it now is I have a dedicated folder in Instapaper for things I truly want to process in my Zettelkasten, because the annotating tools there work well and you can export your comments and highlights nicely. But I would like a true browser / RSS tool for sure.

Ah, thanks! I guess we have a ways to go!

1 Like

Thank you . This is really useful.

Have you had a look at hypothes.is? I just tested it briefly, so I‘m not sure yet how good it is but it works in Safari and is free.

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer; I had seen it but it doesn’t seem to work on mobile, does it?

To my own surprise it seems to work in Safari on my iPad. :astonished: I used the Java bookmarklet on the NY Times website, further testing is needed but looks promising!

1 Like

You could also have a look at the Command browser which is a browser for iPad which’s whole purpose is to work with text on the web. Not sure if this is an option for you but might be worth a look.

2 Likes

Thank you for both these pointers – time to go down that rabbit hole again! :smiley:

EDIT : Annotations in Hypothes.is are public by default… So this solution is out, unfortunately.

1 Like

You‘re welcome. And what a strange decision to make it public with no possibility to turn it off… am I missing something here? Thank you for making me aware of this. What a bummer…

1 Like

To be precise, highlights are private, but annotations aren’t. I guess this is designed as a learning / collaborative tool from the start, which is why they designed it that way. But yeah… this is very disappointing and unusable for the majority of people.

It does let you add private annotations with a fairly quick menu though, this might work for me, potentially a much less expensive version of Liner.

Also, for anyone who is interested someone added a Shortcut for it so you don’t have to use the bookmarklet if you don’t want to.

It also appears to offer RSS feeds so DEVONthink import may be really easy, haven’t tried it yet though.

3 Likes

It’s possible to create a “private group” in hypothesis. From what I can tell, if you log in to your account, then switch from “public” to that group (even if the group only consists of you), all your annotations will be private then.

1 Like

Ah, thanks a lot. That could totally work (but that’s definitely not discoverable :sweat_smile:)

@ChristinWhite How do you add private annotations? Couldn’t find this in Brave (and the FAQ says annotations are public?)

you can post privately by choosing the little triangle on the post button:

2 Likes

Yep, that’s the UI I am seeing as well, even on iOS. It would be nice if you could set it to private by default, but I can live with this.

Apparently this does not work. I just tested it:

Despite having selected “Post to only me”, the annotation ends up in the public group.