Looking for an app to track books (no, not like that)

Its too bad BENTO isn’t still running … that would have been a perfect fit for this project!

Yeah, I recall Bento left the scene shortly after I got into the Apple ecosystem. Alas.

I lament the end of Bento, too. Airtable is the best replacement I’ve found for it. It’s nowhere as flexible, but it does work on Mac and iOS, which is a requirement for me these days.

But for book management, I use Libib. You can’t argue with the ability to scan a bar code via the iPhone. Makes it ridiculously easy to enter books, and it automatically pulls in a cover image. I use it to track my library of special-topic books, since when scouring used book stores I can’t always remember if I own a copy of a book or am just familiar with it because it’s a classic or I’ve borrowed it in the past.

1 Like

Would it be possible to use a spreadsheet?

I’m thinking: Excel at the moment for reasons below:

I imagine books down the left-most column and dates across the top (you could import that into Airtable later), but you could do counts by day/month/book and make some interesting bar charts, etc.

If you imported the spreadsheet into Airtable or Numbers later, you could make more impressive charts and exports, depending on what the

The spreadsheet would let you put in a number for times read and simple totals would help you with your counts, etc.

AND a simple spreadsheet for data collection will allow you to manipulate/total things as needed, even if they later decide on a different metric than they originally mentioned.

I agree with those who recommend just adding the book titles read each day (sorting to avoid duplication) and you’ll have a full list in no time (and no wasted entry time for books that never get touched!).

Best of luck!

–Tim

1 Like

I was going to suggest this also.

Notion is a good candidate as it kind of blends spreadsheet and database functionality