Looking for personal budgeting software - YNAB alternative

One of the shortcomings for me with YNAB is that it doesn’t seem to track money. I love the envelope budgets and assigning your money to them, but don’t like that I cannot see where the money has gone.

Are there any apps that would cover this?

Banktivity tracks and analyses everything in (great) detail and now has genuine “envelope” budgeting alongside more traditional “expected vs actual” budgeting.

I am trying it at the moment (again). It’s expensive, hard to learn and there are a few minor things where I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or have misunderstood what should happen or it has bugs but the wealth of detail it gives is excellent.

I’m a big fan of moneywiz and their helpful, open and responsive team, and have been using their version of envelope budgeting for over a year. It’s genuinely excellent software and is as good on iPad and iPhone as it is on the Mac.

Now I have three years of transactions in it, and lots and lots of transfers between budgets (to do the envelope system) synchronisation is slow (though reliable) and the envelope budgeting is very, very “manual”, hence looking to see if something else might meet my needs better.

It’s rather simple, but did you have a look at the Reports page in YNAB?

I tried it on my M1 running Ventura, and it works great. I installed the classic app on my iphone as well!

Update: I also use Quicken Deluxe on my Mac and iPhone. YNAB 4 is only for my budget, and no subscription!

I agree it’s not ideal, but it’s not clear what you’re after that the spending reports doesn’t provide? (So we know what to recommend.)

If you click on the segments of the pie chart on the web version, you can drill into more specific info. It’s also exportable to csv.

I’m not terribly keen on it myself, but it does the job I guess.

For those who are outside North America, you might find Your Numbers a decent alternative. It costs 5€ per month (or 70€ once) without bank sync or 7€ with european bank sync.

It has less features than YNAB but it does the job for me. I also started several years ago way cheaper and it was costing me like $15 per month last year… Way too much money and they didn’t improve that much. In all these years they improved nothing regarding reports or forecasting. Anyway, maybe Your Numbers is helpful to somebody :slight_smile: