Looking for plain text + files solutions for iOS/iPadOS

On iPad it’s passable with shortcuts, but on iOS not pulling out a keyboard to hit a command button (or making a shortcut to mimic it etc).

Realistically I prefer Apple notes by a long ways, and if there was a way that could be indexed (or live) in DTTG I’d be so happy. For now I put up with a subpar editor in DTTG (yes passable now as it was not usable before) to leverage the rest of its functions.

Thanks for all the excellent possibilities.

At the moment I have decided to separate my notes from my files. This is for a couple reasons:

1. Keeping text only in Bear means it is light and portable. I did look at Notebooks, but for some reason just don’t like it. Adding documents to any text editor is going to make sync slow over time.
  2. Keeping files in Devonthink means that I can have Bear open on my iPad in split screen and when I click a link in Bear it opens on the other half of the screen in Devonthink. I can then edit the doc should I choose to do so.

This set up has been quite good. It leaves my text editor ready to make notes rather than having a preview window open that you need to go back and forth to. It seems a far cleaner workflow and each app is doing what it’s good at.

2 Likes

As I do not like it, to have to get to the various positions of a template after creating it, to fill the fields, I rather use Textexpander for that. It is providing me with a window in advance, where I could fill in the open fields, and thereafter creating the text.

I have been using phrase express for this which is now free and does the job if not clunky. I have not been a fan of text expander and do not like subscription apps.

1 Like

I’m not saying Notebooks isn’t a good app but think @Ulli has made a couple of valid points. It is kinda expensive, particularly if one wants desktop and mobile access (which I would). And even if Ulli’s experience with the trial version was a glitch, it does make a bad impression. I do like that there is a mobile app, which Obsidian does not offer (yet), so I’m giving it a try.

1 Like

Obsidian has been available on mobile since ca. mid-2021.

1 Like

If I look onto the Website of PhraseExpress they charge between 80€ and 200€ for the Version, and an additional “Maintenance Fee” per year which seems to be the same amount(?).

Where do you get the information from, that it would be free?

iOS and iPadOS app is free.

Up until recently there was a different app for max and hard to sink, so they now have the Mac app as beta for free (which syncs across windows etc).

For mobile use is free. Mac is also free now on the new software. For windows for business use it still costs. For my use I put templates into the Mac app and use it iOS only, but for iOS only use still not bad.

The keyboard isn’t great, but it does have a drop down style that you can go through folders and snippets so I find it good for whole templates (Aka a meeting type), not necessarily the quick fill in a long name etc.

Edit for links:
Beta

Full mac version (free for personal use after 30 days with occasional pop up, did not know this)

iOS:

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

Dunno what I was thinking, I’ve had Obsidian installed on my iPad since last year.

1 Like

I use KeepIt. Let’s you store and manipulate native files plus has a plain text and rich text editor built-in.

I’m circling back around to this, as the DTTG update broke my shortcuts again. If I go back to a plain text editor, how would I make an iCloud shortcut link (I supposed markdown link) to an individual iCloud file?)

Would appreciate any resources. My synology drive allows this but still requires to load the link as web browser, so an on device link would be better.

This may be of interest: Hookmark Mobile is in beta (there’s a TestFlight, but I haven’t been able to join it yet) and they’re targeting a release date of 2023.

@jmanko16 Getting links to files within iCloud isn’t terribly convenient. That’s one of the reasons I store most files in Dropbox, except the ones that need to be in iCloud. If you really want to though, you can copy the URL from iCloud on the web. I just tested it and was able to get a direct link to my file in iCloud.

This is interesting…it would seem to fit the bill.

1 Like

Thanks. That seems pretty painful.

As much as I hate markdown, I guess the good part is it’s mobile. After about 2 months all devonthink notes I think I may just use devonthink as a repository for pdf and email and use the link feature, and go back to obsidian for notes. Would prefer Apple notes, but I suppose the portability of markdown in this case probably makes it worth using obsidian for notes for a while in case DTTG comes out with changes.

The idea of Hookmark on mobile has me intrigued…

Edit: typo

as the DTTG update broke my shortcuts again

1 Like

What I am currently doing is use an iCloud Drive folder as my “Vault”. I happen to have it as my Obsidian Desktop vault. Also, I’m using Notebooks “custom folder location” feature to access those on mobile.

Apart from that, I do not do much linking between files so my use case may be different from yours because most of my stuff is very frequently accessed until it is no longer needed and becomes “an archive”, perhaps never to be visited again. So I have special “Working Set” folder in my Finder that I access through keyboard shortcuts and where I put my working projects. (Mostly consulting proposals). On these folders I organize everything by prefixing the date, and drop everything there. Most markdown editors allow you to configure “attachment” drag and drop by creating and using a relative route ./assets (or similar) for the attachment so the folder themselves are relatively portable. Once a project has been finished, I archive it to a “Resources” folder in the vault and perform some light Finder tagging (this is a proposal, this is an RFP, this is a budget Excel…) for future reference.

The best thing of this approach is that I can mix and match all the apps I need as I am basically using Obsidian or Notebooks as glorified text editors. The downside of course is that it is more like a digital archive and less a PKM because there is no linking. If I were to introduce connected notes I would probably use Obsidian on top of all this.