Looking for recommendation for converting .avi RAW8 files to color

Hi all, I have a special purpose camera that creates .avi files with RAW8 format. These files contain color video but unless properly converted, the files are monochrome and have the appearance of a fine mesh grid over the image.

Most of the apps that deal with these files are Windows and can be run under Wine. I tried to do this using WineBottler only to discover that it is limited to 32 bit and doesn’t run under Big Sur.

So in summary:

• is there a recommended Mac app that can convert AVI RAW8 to a colour format, for example RAW24 or MOV?
  • is anyone running Windows apps under Wine on 64 bit Mac OS, if so which of the available methods do you recommend?

Have you tried Permute?
Not at my computer now to see if RAW8 is supported, but it has worked well for me.

1 Like

Thanks .I tried the 7 day trial. So far I can’t get it to turn the files into color. I did a support request to find out if it’s possible.

1 Like

Another thought is vlc.

https://www.videolan.org/

1 Like

Trying that too. It doesn’t even put the video in a window or play anything, just an arrow going along the timeline.

I’m not familiar with the details of converting this file format, but I recommend trying to run the Windows program you want to use in Crossover, which is commercial software that runs Windows programs on Mac. They can even run 32-bit Windows programs on 64-bit Macs (including on M1.) There’s a free trial available. I believe Crossover employs at least some of the people who worked on WineBottler.

1 Like