Looking for resources or checklists for speeding up an aging MacBook Pro

Hey guys, I’m running a 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro using Big Sur and lately it’s started to really choke on day-to-day operations. I’m talking just web browsing, running multiple apps at once, any kind of graphics intense apps, or even just watching YouTube.

For various reasons, I’m not in the market to buy a new computer just yet. I am planning on upgrading to Monterey, but I like to wait a month or two after a new OS is released to allow the dot release kinks to work their way out.

I’m getting started on researching a list of things to try to optimize this dinosaur, but before I dive in, I was just wondering if anyone was aware of a checklist or a site that sort of has a best practices list already compiled?

Can you list the specs on your current machine for RAM, hard drive, and processor. How full in your hard drive? When you say “lately”, can you pinpoint a time before and after where the change became noticeable? Or was the problem more akin to the frog in a pot of cold water on the stove burner (the problem crept up on you and now is intolerable)?

JJW

1 Like

I recommend running Activity Monitor and checking CPU usage and memory load. This will likely provide clues as to what’s causing your computer to drag.

2 Likes

Are your fans running more than normal?
If so, there could be dust accumulated and the CPU is slowing down (throttling).

CleanMyMac X has good tools for getting an idea of what’s going on with your system and also optimizing it.

2 Likes