Lot of Sherlocking going on post WWDC

Just watched the Session last night.

I gotta say it punched above its weight class. As someone who has far too many logins and not enough strong passwords this was a breath of fresh air.

The presenter had my sold on getting something like a Yubikey and then he wrapped everything up with why iCloud Keychain matched pairs eliminate the need for hardware yet provide the same security.

If I was worried about 1Password before this has me thinking the only the larger password management vendors will survive and they’ll only be able to survive by adding relevant features that Apple’s solution doesn’t cover.

“I need to share passwords with my family”

Is more aptly rewritten

“I no longer need to be concerned with passwords”

The only thing we need more details on are public/private keys can be made flexible in
Family and corporate structures.

I stopped using 1Password when I bought the M1 Mac and I would have to pay for a subscription to use it there. I have to say that the Keychain app is kind of garbage. I’m in constant fear that my passwords will be overwritten by accident (it’s happened a few times). There is no real app for passwords on iOS, just a section in Settings which has even less features than the Keychain app on the Mac. After 6+ months of only using Keychain to manage passwords, I can say with confidence that it is an inferior experience to 1Password.

I find the value received from a 1Password subscription far exceeds the cost. When setting up my new iMac from scratch it was the first application loaded.

I know some people are philosophically opposed to subscription software but I dealt with that type expense on mainframes for decades. You do a cost/benefit analysis and make the call. Purely a business decision.

5 Likes

I totally agree with this

I’m not sure if this would be helpful, but if you would like general information on public key encryption IMO this is a good explanation:

1 Like

It’s very helpful thank you.

I’m not giving up 1password myself and they’ll be part of the public key future but I’m really curious how the system works for different scenarios and this link should inform me

1 Like

That’s interesting to me, because I also bought an M1 Mac and did not have to pay a subscription to keep using 1Password. What happened that you had to?

I was using version 6, M1 is only supported with version 7.

Ah! I’m still merrily using version 6, which seems to work quite well on my M1 Air. At one time, it was still possible to purchase the latest version without a subscription (but you had to dig around on the website to find that option). I wonder if that’s still the case.

1 Like

How did you get it to work? When I tried to ran it, it didn’t work. Now this was back in December, so maybe they made an update to version 6 since then?

I didn’t do anything special. My M1 Air was set up from a TimeMachine backup of it precesessor and 1Password came along for the ride.

Agreed - am I missing something?

1 Like

OK, now I understand what happened. I purchased 1Password 6 via the Mac App Store. When I searched for 1Password, it only found version 7, which requires a subscription to use after 30 days. But I have since discovered that you can actually go into your account and find your past purchases. I scrolled through the list and found my purchase of version 6 (from 2014! now I know why they want subscription revenue) and I was able to download it and use on the M1. Back in December, I didn’t realize this was an option. So maybe I will go back to using 1Password if it will continue to work without a subscription.

1 Like

ditto. 1Pasword has a Shared vault where we can share sensitive documents, passwords, and other accounts such as banks or IDs.

1Password is selling stand-alone licences for v7 (available on their own website), so, when needed you are not forced to sticking to V6 if you do not want a subscription.

1 Like

I think with ShazamKit they also sherlocked some specific niche tools available as a library and used for audience measuring.