Luna Display, How are you using it?

I want to annotate OVER existing content being displayed, not draw new content.

Basically, I want to display presentations from mac apps on a projector and walk around the room with my iPad while having the iPad allow me either to control the presentation content or to annotate over the presentation content. SplashTop would do this (I assume). I am however not interested in the cloud server approach and I have no need to project to multiple devices for students. I can imagine the hardware approach would also be more responsive than the software only approach.

–
JJW

Keynote and PowerPoint both offer this as options.

Does anyone know what kind of interface is in the Luna dongle- (not the interface that plugs into the Mac, the “outward facing” interface)?

Since the iPad only has WiFi and BT, why do we need any special hardware on the Mac to use the iPad as a second display? WiFi and BT are built into the Mac

And I use neither of these. :frowning:

Essentially then, the answer seems to be … You can annotate on apps with Luna ONLY when you use apps that allow this “feature” in and of themselves.

–
JJW

I believe as others have stated the advantage of a hardware option (Luna) is speed.

–
JJW

That’s not what I’m asking about. The iPad only has WiFi and BT, so does the Mac. If they both have the same interfaces, what is the Luna dongle?

What is the outward-facing interface on the Luna dongle? How is it that the iPad can work with that interface, when it doesn’t have any specialized dongles?

I understand the Luna dongle doesn’t contain WiFi or BT, but the iPad does. The display from the Mac is getting sent over wifi. I just didn’t understand how the dongle comes into play- until your explanation. Thank you.

@SpivR: Thanks for the clarification on how Luna works and the recommendation on Deskscribble. I would be glad to hear of any follow ups on the use of the Luna + Deskscribble to handle what I need. My current setup is basically this

• I use Curio in presentation mode for lecture slides.
  • I run interactive demonstrations in programming apps.
  • I use Airplay + ZoomNotes on the iPad to run a whiteboard mode.

I want to avoid having to return to the mac to swipe forward to the next slide or control the demonstrations. I want to use the iPad for all of this. Based on the comments here, I think the Luna would do the trick for this. I also want to be able to annotate over the slides and demos, again using the iPad. Here it seems the Deskscribble app would do the trick.

Any further insights to whether all of this will work together will be appreciated. Although I have no problems to get the Deskscribble based on the recommendation, I cannot directly test the Luna in the mix.

–
JJW

Thanks. I’ll dig deeper with support at Luna.

–
JJW