M1 out of memory errors

no issues so far on my brand new baseline MacBook Air (8/7 cores - 8 gb ram)

1 Like

you flexin’ ?? :grinning:

2 Likes

Honestly, could have :grin: but actually no, I thought that could be relevant (in case the issue happens with rigs that are less sick than mine y’see)

2 Likes

I just read an article mentioning out of memory issues with Adobe Premiere in M1 Macs, presumably caused by Rosetta gobbling up RAM. When they switched to a Beta native copy, the memory problems went away and performance heavily improved.

1 Like

Interesting. I also received a bent M1 MacBook Air…I thought I was an anomaly. They ended up replacing the top case, which only took a couple of days.

I’ve got 3 M1 Macs (2 x iMac and 1 Air) each with 16GB RAM and getting this message multiple times each day on all the machines. They replaced Intel machines (the old Air had 8GB RAM) and they’re being used in the same ways. Never had this problem with the Intels. Can’t believe I just typed that!

2 Likes

Some discussion of this issue on Connected episoded 358.

Save us 90 minutes :slightly_smiling_face:
What did they say?

Connected has chapter markers (Myke and @ismh aren’t savages), so it’s only 3 minutes and 27 seconds. :wink:

If that’s still TLDL: Myke is getting these errors on his M1 laptop, but not his M1 iMac. Stephen hasn’t seen them on his M1 laptop (and he sure is heck isn’t getting them on the Mac Pro with gobs of memory). Neither of them have any idea of the cause.

1 Like

Apple has said very little about it. It’s all so weird, and not new to the M1s. You can find forum posts going back to 2017 or so.

1 Like

Please support that assertion with citations to peer-reviewed research :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

One weird thing that I’ve noticed related to this is that back a few point releases ago, my M1 Air would have 5+ GB of swap used and memory pressure would show as green. Recently my swap use seems to be way down, but memory pressure shows as yellow nearly all of the time. The machine (16GB RAM) has never felt slow or like lack of RAM has been an issue.

1 Like

16GB M1 MBA here and I am seeing this out of memory error. One time, Word is using almost 5GB memory with Slack around 3GB. This is disruptive especially when I am on conference call and the pop up appears. I am glad the company issued me a 16GB version, can’t imagine if it were 8GB. Even then, pretty sure this is an issue that Apple need to look into. 16GB and not enough memory for daily “office work”? (I also see this in Monterey)

Interesting.
I haven’t seen this in Monterey (yet).

I also wonder, what could Slack possibly do with 3GiB of memory? Or Word with 5? Crazy.

I haven’t seen this error in either Big Sur or Monterey, on a 16GB Air, and I use Docker and several Java apps pretty much all the time. Even Docker with a full LAMP stack has never used more than around 2-3GB. Slack must be one inefficient application if it uses so much for just a text chat (I have never used it personally). Word has always been a memory hog, it’s one reason I convert all the documents I receive to plain text.

Yeah, the next time it happened, I’ll take a screenshot. I’m wondering whether these are Rosetta apps that maybe do not know how to release memory, maybe?

Are the problematic apps the universal versions or the old Intel versions? Both Word and Slack are supposed to be available in native M1 versions. (I have neither.) You may need to download the correct version. I had a lot of that when I first got my M1 MBA.

I don’t know. I think maybe Slack is still intel version. Microsoft Word - maybe it’s already M1 ready now? Or maybe not.

Do a Get Info on the app file in the /Applications folder. It will say Intel or Universal.

Look at this:

intel:
HCL Notes
WhatsApp

Apple Silicon:
Slack

Universal (what does this mean?):
Microsoft Word
Microsoft Excel

Finder is hogging up 3GB!
Safari - ok, I have about 14 tabs opened but 15GB! come on!