M1 out of memory errors

Yeah, pretty patient :slight_smile:

As I said, doesn’t happen every time, and may be associated with Bluejeans usage when I’m in the classroom. IDK

I’m also certain it has something to do with one or more of the specific apps, probably non-M1-native apps, being run on the systems that have an explosion of memory usage. Has to be, otherwise we would all be having the issue.

I think that I run only two non-native apps and, so far, have not had a problem. Also, whenever CleanMyMacX reports that one of my programs has crashed (I’m looking at you Mail), I restart my MacBook Air.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe a Rosetta bug.

I wouldn’t even call it a Rosetta bug. The fact that Intel apps work as well as they do on the M1 Macs is beyond phenomenal. There simply are limits to how well any translation can work.

Edit: And now @anon20961960 describes it happening on Intel Macs, too.

I have a M1 MBA and a 2019 27" iMac. Neither of these were having any problems until a few days ago, when both showed big signs of memory issues.

[Examples]
Numbers (with 2 speadsheets open): 7GB (typically 500MB with 8-10 open)
Mail: 4GB (typically 400MB)

Doing research this appears to be a Monterey issue, not a M1 issue. Several instances on the web state that this is a known issue for Apple and has been fixed on Monterey 12.1 beta. I have installed it and so far for the past few hours, no problems anymore.

1 Like

Possibly related: Users Reporting 'Memory Leak' Issues After Updating to macOS Monterey | MacRumors Forums

1 Like

A good article with some great user comments:

It just leaks… errr… works.

So glad I got 64GB of memory on my new Mac so I can use 26GB of it for control center…

3 Likes

I didn’t find either article helpful. They’re just saying people are having this problem, and soliciting input.

Also noting this problem (or one with the same presentation) predates Monterey.

May be more useful - I’m still on High Sierra so I’ve not tested these suggestions.

2 Likes

I’ve been having this issue on my 8GB M1 Mac Mini often now - to the extent it’s making it difficult to use, so I’ve moved over to Windows for the time being. No issues with my M2 MBA with 8GB RAM, so unsure if an error, or I’m running too much on the desktop machine.

At the minute, I don’t intend to replace it - having a desktop Mac is nice, but I can survive equally well on Windows, with the majority of apps I use having a Windows equivalent (though not necessarily equal!). I’d like to see if an M3 or M4 version of the Mac mini comes out and then consider if I buy a 16GB+ version.

Though last year, any tech I purchased was either second hand or refurb as a new years challenge, and I’ve quite liked getting my hands of a mini HP machine that I’m able to upgrade the RAM and storage on.

I would definitely recommend 16GB (at least) of memory whenever you upgrade to an M3/M4 Mac Mini.

Yes, I’ll not be going less than 16GB on any machine I purchase now. However, 8GB seemed OK when I purchased it on release. That £200 upgrade that Apple want for it will hurt the wallet though!

Maybe a bit offtopic. Recently got a refurbished M1 MacBook Pro with 16 GB. My Mac Studio often uses more than 16 GB which is fine, but I don’t want the MacBook to use swap.

This AppleScript displays a dialog if swap is used. I use it in a periodic Keyboard Maestro macro. It shows the currently used swap and a button that opens Activity Monitor.app.

Set property testing to true if you want to check whether the macro works as expected.

-- Display dialog if swap is used

property testing : false
property theDialog_IconPath : (((path to application "Activity Monitor") & "Contents:Resources:AppIcon.icns:") as string)

if testing = false then
	set theSwapouts to do shell script "sysctl vm.swapusage | cut -d' ' -f8"
else
	set theSwapouts to "155.00M" -- testing 
end if

if theSwapouts ≠ "0.00M" then
	tell application "System Events"
		set theDialog_Buttons to {"Cancel", "Open Activity Monitor"}
		set theDialog_Text to linefeed & "Swap usage: " & theSwapouts & linefeed
		set theDialog_ButtonReturned to button returned of (display dialog theDialog_Text with title "Activity Monitor" buttons theDialog_Buttons default button 2 cancel button 1 with icon (theDialog_IconPath as alias) giving up after 30)
		if theDialog_ButtonReturned = (item 2 of theDialog_Buttons) then
			tell application "Activity Monitor"
				activate
			end tell
		end if
	end tell
end if