Mac Mini Fusion Drive Issues

I have a late 2014 Mac Mini with a 1TB Fusion Drive. Everything is fine until today. I tried to install Mojave and I’m told there’s a S.M.A.R.T error with the drive.

What would be my best course of action? I don’t really want to buy a new computer right now. It’s it possible to repair or replace this drive?

All suggestions gratefully received!

First make sure you have a good backup and if not, try and take one if you can before moving forward.

You could boot from the recovery partition and run Disk Utility to see if it can repair it. Here is a link to the Apple Support article on the steps. My experience with hard drives, once you start having issues with them, it is best to replace them as soon as possible as it is usually a downhill battle leading to data loss.

Here is a link to the directions on iFixIt to replace a standalone drive in your iMac. Since you have a Fusion drive, it is a little more complicated.

I would make a genius appointment at the Apple store. They will diagnose it for free and my experience is they will also try and repair it with their disk utilities for free as well. I would get a price on getting the drive replaced from them so you can consider all of your options moving forward.

In a recent podcast episode of MacGeekGab, John praised DriveDX, saying that when a drive in his 5-bay Drobo was showing errors the app’s diagnostics could discern what specifically on the drive was bad, and was able (to attempt, at least) to migrate data from bad sectors to good ones and to map out the bad ones.