Mac Mini M1 Sluggish - Why?

It’s a new machine, what about calling Apple?

The whole thing is not hot.

That will be another new issue for them. I’ve been messaging them regularly about the Bluetooth and WiFi issues.

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Not a good start.

I have the same problem with a lot of similar software.

Any idea how to gather data to see what is going on?

Cross Posted…

I recently purchased an M1 Mac mini and was Initially blown away by how fast it was at first.

Like most systems, the performance is awesome until you start adding software.

Now it’s running incredibly slow.

I’ve done all the normal things about checking activity monitor, spotlight indexing, virus checkers and cannot find out why it’s running so slow.

I know that in Windows if you have multiple devices connected that sometimes that can consume system resources as it maintains the connection to all those devices. I was of the understanding that it is not quite such an issue on the Mac operating system.

I’ve spoken with Fujitsu while trying to get my scan snap I asked 500 working and they have indicated that there is hardware has problems with the USB connection.

I’m not sure where to go from here and if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

I will attempt to run EtraCheck Pro to gather some more data.

What other data can I collect that will help the troubleshooting process?

Has iCloud and Photo’s finished syncing?

Yes it has.

I came to use my Mac Mini today, I get a pop-up that an error has caused it to restart. No clue what happened. Kernel_task is now only 1.5 MB.

Will have to wait till the next hiccup. I almost regret restoring from a Time Machine Migration (on the original M1 Mini - it was 8GB) a few weeks ago. I am kicking myself for ignoring my gut and just going fresh and clean.

1 Like

A number of us have done that mistake before :unamused:

Is Spotlight still indexing loads of files?

Indeed moving all the old clutter to a new Mac a specially since it has a new chip inst the best idea.

I just setup a mini M1 fir my wife from scratch and the bleeding edge was a bloodbath. I will write up later this week.

Agreed, I just thought it would be easier because I was moving from an 8GB M1 Mini to a 16GB M1 Mini

1 Like

Meh, you can always nuke and pave now - it could have worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same issue. The Apple 2nd Level Support Engineer that I was working with escalated it to engineering.

After waiting two days I was really disappointed in their response.

“Could be 3rd Party Hardware or Software”

When I worked at DEC, Compaq and HP, escalating to Engineering meant something. The system write logs as to what was going on when the system started having problems. They could tell you where to look and what to unplug.

I did a clean install on volume that I created on my internal Disk and then only installed the software that I had bought on the App Store. There goes 6 hours I will never get back.

I ended up with the same performance problems and so I told support to go back to engineering and not come back until they had some real information.

Sure enough, they said it was do to a bug and it “should” be fixed in 11.2.

Had they come out and said that earlier they would have saved me some time.

Now I have 2 volumes, both of which only kinda work.

I used migration Asst on the 1st one and it has more of the apps installed and configured.

The 2nd one is probably cleaner but will require a bit more work (a not insignificant amount) to bring it up the level of the first one.

Which one do you recommend that I should settle on to finish software installs and limp along until 11.2 comes out.

What is any peripherals do you have connected to this M1 ?

Where support calls go to die.

Wait. You got a response?!

1 Like