Mac Power Users 448: iOS 12 and the September 12th Event

I canā€™t wait to listen to this. I wonder how much of it will reflect my own personal feelings after running it over the summer.

For me, I immediately noticed the performance on my iPhone 6s.

Question: I forget how it works if you are on the public beta. Do you continue to get beta releases throughout the whole ā€˜12ā€™ experience? I have the Golden Master now, I assume I will get the shortcuts app will be present when iOS 12 publicly drops?

Thanks

From what I have remember after last yearā€™s release, is that you stay on the ā€œbeta trainā€ and then get 12.1 when they start testing that.

You wonā€™t get the emoji update that is slated for that release. That comes with the GM to further makes sure that everyone is updated.

1 Like

I have a trouble admitting to myself that some of the AR stuff is a solution looking for a problem. That being said, it could do something more for us in the future.

1 Like

I find that AR has some very good industrial applications and so does VR (particularly training and manufacturing environments). Outside of those uses it still feels very gimmicky and doesnā€™t personally solve anything for me. That said I do like the measure app in ios12

David & Katie; update your shownotes when your keep on stumbling over the ā€œXā€.
Replace ā€œXā€ with 10

Done

Great episode, enjoyed Katie and Davidā€™s take on the keynote and new hardware/software. Canā€™t wait to try Siri shortcuts - first one, ā€œLumosā€!

1 Like

Ordered the Siri Shortcuts field guide by Dave, I watched the demo and it clarified a lot of my confusion so thanks.

1 Like

Appleā€™s naming scheme is like a Stroop test for David and Katie. ā€œSee X , say ā€˜tenā€™ā€.

1 Like

One overlooked improvement in iOS 12 is the notes app on iPad. There are new tools for line and tip thickness and the hand-writing experience (with Apple Pencil) is better than ever! I generally prefer pencil to pen for my notes and doodling, and using the ā€œpencilā€ tool in the app is amazing. It senses the nuances of pressure and is the closest to regular pencil/paper Iā€™ve experienced. This creates (for me) a serious alternative to my fancy-shmancy moleskine notebook. Give it a tryā€¦

I say ā€žXā€œ, I donā€™t care what Apple calls it. I always said ā€žOSXā€œ too.
And since Iā€˜m looking forward to my new Max phone like it was Christmas I call it the X-Mas phone.

@MacSparky mentioned getting a new thermostat that works with HomeKit. I recently dumped my Gen 1 nest for an Ecobee 3 with room sensors for that exact reason.

Previously, I was using HomeBridge running on my Mac mini server to control my Nest. While this solution worked, it was not always a bug free and seamless experience. I also found that the temperature in my office and other parts of the house varied wildly from the thermostat temperature.

After I installed the ecobee and about 4 room sensors, I now find that the temperature remains much more consistent, plus the ecobee room sensors are accessible in HomeKit for use in automations!

I will also add that Iā€™m heavily invested into HomeKit and therefore chose the ecobee 3 over the ecobee 4 simply because the ecobee 4 has Alexa built in, which I did not want. I prefer to use Siri as my exclusive home assistant primarily because of the enhanced privacy. Now that Siri has super powers thanks to iOS 12 on the HomePod and Siri Shortcuts, my decision to stick with HomeKit and Siri exclusively has been reaffirmed.

OMG right!!?!?!?!?!?

1 Like

@MacSparky we left nest as well and switched to the ecobee 3. Costco ran a special that added an extra sensor. Bought two units 1 up / 1 down and they work great with Siri and HomeKit.

Definitely agree with @zdub that overall comfort across the various rooms is much better. Seeing the ā€œlil beesā€ switch from unoccupied to occupied is neat too.

1 Like

I have an ecobee 4 and donā€™t use Alexa. Works fine with HomeKit.
It also works much better than the 30 year-old ā€œprogrammableā€ thermostat that was in our house.

2 Likes

I spent the past couple of days wondering if my carry on would fit in the planes I was flying in, this morning I saw thereā€™s a new AR app for that.

2 Likes

Sounds interesting. Link?

You guys are such a bunch of enablers. Once I get over how much I spent on my giant new iPhone, I expect an Ecobee is in my future.

8 Likes

I found this to be an interesting keynote for one reason: the phones kinda remind me of the old ā€œGhzā€ race that we were all on years ago, then eventually we all realized that computers (for the most part) were ā€œgood enoughā€. I ALWAYS upgrade my phone every year, and didnā€™t find it too painful because there was usually something I could hang my hat on to justify it. This year, I found myself thinking the phones were nice, but Iā€™m happy with my iPhone X for another year. Maybe weā€™ve reached an inflection point where at least until AR is humming, annual upgrades may be a bit silly? Been noticing how often over the last couple of years, a comment like ā€œthe real benefits of these new features will manifest in the next six months to a year as developers get their hands on AR Kit, Health Kit, etcā€. With that being a trend, it just means showing some patience (what?!) might make sense for me.

1 Like