Mac Power Users 449: macOS Mojave

I couldn’t agree more. I can’t understand why anyone would work with multiple windows, when it takes 0.1 seconds with Cmd-Tab to switch between apps running maximised. But I think I’m in the minority, so I’m going to look at others workflows and trying to see what I’m missing out on…

1 Like

I often have two windows side-by side. I write articles in one window and consult notes in the other. But no blank space on the desktop.

YES! Especially to have a home machine that’s not doing a lot of heavy lifting!

1 Like

I agree about fullscreen, or at least the assumption that the current app is always maximized. It’s a Windows remnant, and a habit I didn’t break until I was sitting in front of a 27” iMac, at which point it felt silly. Magnet helped, too.

2 Likes

I haven’t gotten all the way through the episode yet but just got through @MacSparky’s explanation of the development/release cadence and it got me to thinking.

I doubt Apple would ever do this just because it’d look like a copycat maneuver, but what if releases became more frequent and they stopped naming each one? Closer to the model that Microsoft has adopted for Windows 10 with new & enhanced features being released to the mass market “when complete” (with people on the Windows Insider program getting updates even faster) and those in the “business channel” getting them semi-annually. Keep doing security patches as needed obviously, but have a Spring update with the new Mac-specific features/enhancements, and then the Fall release syncs up with the iOS release to add any necessary support.

We kind of saw this in iOS 9 & 10, with the fall releases followed by the X.3 releases in the spring with the education/classroom features (9.3) and APFS (10.3).

I’m with @katiefloyd here as well. People who don’t keep a clean desktop are just “wrong” :slight_smile:

I used the old i7 server machines and upgraded them to 32G and had them booting VMWare ESX to run multiple virtual machines and they worked great. I was sad when they started crippling them. Hopefully they move away from that with the update.

Thank you so much @MacSparky. That little hidden tip you gave during the podcast. CMD + D to save to the desktop, it is such a time saver. I have used Mac for 10+ years now, and I didn’t know this one.

@Mrlund Thanks for posting this. It gives me some vindication with @katiefloyd that people actually do occasionally use the desktop. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m glad they didn’t call it Piles.

2 Likes

Anyone remember Bump Top?

I think Google bought it and killed it, IIRC.

Great show. I was worried dark mode would be confusing like Pixelmator Pro (which is so completely black, you can’t tell where things start and stop) but I have been pleasantly surprised. The depth you get from shadows in light mode isn’t quite as obvious and helpful, but my eyes are really appreciating the reduction in brightness. I hope the web catches on soon and I hope there is a way for non-Apple apps to switch in the way Apple apps do automatically.

Me too - I used this for the first time today!

@MacSparky was wishing that there is a hook to let apps switch automatically from dark to light mode with a flick of a OS preference. I have just discovered that this works in iA writer. So it seems that it is something that can be done in a third party app.

+1 on the “no files on the desktop camp” here.
I moved to Mac about a year ago, in windows I was quite bad for littering the desktop with stuff, on the Mac I’ve managed to keep it clean, I even configured it to write out screen shots in a ~/Pictures/scrshots folder so they wouldn’t clutter the desktop.

2 Likes

OmniFocus just added this ability to their test builds. It is definitely something developers can incorporate.

Spark added it to their latest version too (according to the release notes, at least; I don’t have a Mojave Mac to test it on).

I am loving Todoists new Dark Mode it goes nicely alongside the Mojave dark mode!

I will say I have an odd one with my Desktop, For the most part is it clean but I only place files there if they are needed within this week or two and after that they get filled.

Generally it’s travel stuff and work documents that I am working on this week and I don’t use the stacks feature because of the way I use the desktop for my needs and stacks takes away me actually seeing the document to work on, just a visual thing to help me be more productive.

Hello All: I’m new to the forum but not to MPU. I love the podcast and I try to listen to it every week.

Katie mentioned she has had trouble with her MacBook Pro shutting down randomly. I now have this problem with the Mojave update. I did not have it before. I’m enjoying the new features with Mojave including the dark mode, but having to sign in every time it shuts down is painful as touch ID does not work with a restart. I’m not doing anything differently than I did before. I just shut my lid on the laptop.

Is anyone else having this problem? Has anyone found a fix for it?

I have a 13" 2016 MacBook Pro, 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Thanks!

PS, I’m on Team Katie when it comes to a clean desktop. :wink:

I’m mostly Team Katie with regard to the desktop. I keep just one folder there, labeled “Current files” (though there are a bunch of subfolders there).

On my home machine, my Desktop and Documents are in iCloud.

That’s not true of my work machine; I thought it might get confusing to have both of those folders in iCloud. Instead, the one folder that lives on my work Mac’s desktop is an alias to the Desktop folder in iCloud.

It works well for me; my desktops are both tidy, and I can quickly access any file I need from either of the Macs or from iOS.