Mac Power Users 455: Apple October 2018 Event

1 Like

A really good episode. Don’t ever stop making podcast you two @MacSparky @katiefloyd
You really are good at it, fun to listen to and some very good perspectives on things.

And congrats on your new gear!

2 Likes

Many musicians use iPads. For them killing the audio-in/out port (because it’s more than a headphone jack) will be very disappointing.

2 Likes

Probably my biggest problem with the new iPads is the lack of a headphone jack. I was thinking about using a new iPad to play songs on a radio show I’m involved with, and that requires a dongle now. Ugh.

The machine does look super sexy though - and I really want one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Especially when on stage (or even in a long recording session) the dongle won’t be enough, as you don’t want to risk draining your battery. You‘ll want to plug in audio and a charger at the same time. Maybe they will make a special dongle for that, but still …

As this is USB C it’s not a new problem. There are many dongles out there on Amazon with a headphone port and pass through charging.

2 Likes

This is actually an area where USB-C is superior to Lightning. You can plug the iPad into a USB-C hub and get power (and multiple ports).

1 Like

That’s good news. But they still could have kept the audio port just to make things more accessible. Now you need to buy a dongle if you want to start recording.