Mac Power Users 463: All Good Things

Indeed. For those interested in the exciting podcast industry growth story, I created a post about this. This was placed in another MPU category to avoid hijacking this thread. Link: Podcast Industry Growth thread

Finally getting a chance to listen and one minor correction, My name is pronounced OO as in Boot and Gee as in Jeep :slight_smile: -)

And thanks MacSparky for the additional info about how you wanted the Apple iCloud to work. That makes more sense, a choice to backup things or not as you wish bundled in does make sense.

On the Doctor Who stuff, I just wish I could get it anywhere, Misssed nearly all of Capaldi and none of the latest Doctor. Not available here as far as I can tell without buying the season. So, where are you finding it? Or is that a subscription you have elected to buy?

The idea of holding the phone up to a face to unlock it just gave me an idea for a scene in my next NaNoWriMo novel. :wink: Thanks for the tip. A whole new take on spoofing fingerprints.

1 Like

I agree, it’s probably time to move on.

I would like to say I’ve never heard David or Katie make what I would consider a misleading statement about an advertiser, or anything else.

And I would never expect to hear anyone doing an ad read to say “By the way, this manufacturer doesn’t support their product until the heat death of the universe” any more than I would expect Chrysler to say “We go bankrupt every twenty years or so, but our cars are great”

They frequently, if not always, disclose that this company or that is a previous/current advertiser when it enters the discussion. I expect nothing more.
—-
Katie, congratulations and best wishes. David, looking forward to many more years of MPU.

2 Likes

Gang,

Thanks for the active discussion. That is why this forum exists. There is a lot covered in this thread:

About Katie’s Goodbye
@Aaron_Antcliff was right. I had talking points outlined for my goodbye to Katie at the end and I just started falling apart. I literally couldn’t get words out. I didn’t expect to get so emotional. It really caught me by surprise.

On Fujitsu
I’ve been seeking clarification from the Fujitsu about what their exact plans are. I don’t want to say something on the podcast about this and find out later that I’m wrong and have you all mad at me for giving bad information. I’m definitely going to have opinions about other ways to use older hardware once I sort out what the best options are.

On Advertising in General
Thanks for the ad read feedback. I do generally use most of the stuff our sponsors make. I don’t think we’ve ever disclosed it but we have turned down multiple sponsors in the past because I didn’t feel comfortable recommending it.

I am genuinely enthusiastic about our sponsors. You can disagree with me, but please don’t attack my intentions just because we disagree. We’ve always gone out of our way, when we have a content show that covers an area that a sponsor works in, to cover the other companies as well. PDFExpert was one example but I’ve also talked at length about other PDF apps, including LiquidText, which I think is truly special. I’m currently working on a show about Things (a direct competitor to OmniFocus) with a special guest that is a Things power user.

It would be great if we could do the show without sponsors but it takes a lot of time to produce this show. Between planning, pre-production, recording, and post-production, we spend a lot of time producing the show and I still have to pay for my shoes somehow. There are costs too. I’ve been paying personally for all the server costs for this forum. (I disliked Facebook that much.) Sponsors are here to stay. I’ll do my best to get better at it.

About Forum Participation
I’m sorry I haven’t been as present in the forums lately as I’d like to be. I wasn’t trying to dodge this conversation. We had a very serious injury in the family and I spent a lot of time at the hospital and I’m still digging out. Also, sending Katie off right and getting Stephen started properly all took some time.

About MPU
I don’t mind criticisms at all. Sometimes I listen to a show and think I’m the worst podcaster ever. I’d only ask that you understand I am only trying to make MPU great and everything I do here comes from a place of love. If you are thinking about not listening, I’d encourage you to give Stephen a chance. We’ve done a lot of planning and have some great shows lined up.

43 Likes

Thank you, David, for commenting on the discussion. I too have had the impression in the past that there were several issues with Fujitsu‘s software that were not discussed on the podcast, so I‘m glad to hear you‘re working on this and I look forward to a future discussion on the podcast. An honest communication with the community is key and while I would‘ve hoped for an earlier thematization of the topic, I think it speaks for your commitment to MPU that you want to research properly before adressing it.

And besides that: Family issues always go first.

4 Likes

Of course it does. You deserve to be paid for your work; sponsors and ads are fine, especially since you and Stephen have already indicated (Podcast Industry thread) your intent to honor your listeners’ privacy. Don’t feel guilty.

Please. Not only about the “obsoleted” scanners, but the new software license restrictions as well.

You’re doing fine. Thanks for your detailed post and for listening to your audience. That will serve you well in the long run and will distinguish you from most other podcasters who are out of touch. Simply providing this forum speaks volumes about your concern for your audience. You can bet that most of us will “give Stephen a chance”.

Keep up the good work!

6 Likes

MacSparky, thank you for responding! But please note that the issues with Fujitsu are more than just old scanner support but also their new licensing restrictions.

Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

About Katie’s Goodbye - thank you so much for the last episode. As it wound down to the end, I couldn’t believe how the two of you were holding it together. Thank you both so much for all that you do, and thank you in particular David for carrying on with the show despite the challenges that have arisen for your family and then Katie’s departure. That it “comes from a place of love” is very evident.

4 Likes

Watch the Capaldi episodes! Heaven Sent is a masterpiece, and so is its music . I just buy the seasons from iTunes. It’s frustrating to have to wait till midnight Pacific (my 3am) on the day of broadcast, as I effectively get the next episode the day after the UK and have to ignore commentary and spoilers. It was good to get up on a Sunday morning and have a new episode to watch. This season has also been great, but unfortunately the Beeb has decided to move it from its time honoured Saturday slot to Sunday, which means I get each new episode on a Monday, and that made it hard to keep up with this season.

First, I have to say that I have listened to hundreds of hours of episodes and hard to believe that this era is over. Great team. I think Katie adding a female voice was very important in a heavy tech field. I never really heard why she left, but I admire anyone who wants a new direction or a new direction is forced on them. The real challenge now is to rethink the show and see what will develop.

One more thing…I will become a less devoted listener because I am moving away from the Apple platform after many years. I am finding the price and all the enduring costs is not worth the reality that many of the apps are cross-platformed. The only app that I cannot get on Android that I really miss is TextExpander.

Great show. I am a big Macsparky fan. I know whatever is produced by him is quality.

4 Likes

Going to miss the dream team. Unsure if I’ll enjoy the show still. I am certainly going to try but I’ve been listening for just over a year and will endeavour to start from the beginning to see how much the show has matured.

I know it shouldn’t be but it’s a sad time to think it won’t be K & D anymore.

“Unwashed masses”. Please. Since when is having a different opinion worth that kind of knee-jerk insulting? Have we gone that far?

FWIW, I have always found the ad reads both more plentiful in mpu (4 reads in 1.5h vs other podcasts that do 3 in 2+h), longer (some are over 3 minutes), and overzealous in praise to the point where I honestly feel they’re being misrepresented in value. If you don’t think so, that’s cool, but I think it’s a valid opinion.

I also feel like Katie’s departure maybe should have marked the end of a good podcast, rather than just going on and on for no reason save advertising like The Big Bang Theory or something. Too early to tell, but yeah, it has that feeling.

But every time I say that, people either call me out at best, or refer to me in terms of “unwashed masses”.

So there’s that.

2 Likes

Due respect, I think you missed the meaning of my comment. Or I was inelegant in the way it was stated, leading to misinterpretation.

“Unwashed massed” was meant as a self-deprecating term, aimed at myself and other non-podcaster listeners who are now, though this forum, allowed access to the forum to share our ideas. This was meant to be humorous, but apparently that was not obvious when stated in black-and-white text. I would never insult anyone for having different ideas. There is entirely too much insulting going on these days. When I read comments in various forums, I try to be more circumspect and try to see others’ points of view before inferring insult, rather than simple misunderstanding.

When I was younger, in college, our classmates would sometimes refer to ourselves humorously as the “unwashed masses” when found ourselves in situations interacting with “higher-ups” - teachers, professors and so on.

Edited to add: “Unwashed masses” = all of us “common folks”, in this case listeners to the podcast. The podcasters would be the “exalted, learned ones”.

2nd edit to add: Referring back to the referenced post (#42 ), I replied to and was commiserating with @dchar., who felt that the podcasters were criticized and abused by forum posters. I attempted to lighten up the discussion, first by attempting (inelegantly, it turns out) a semi-humorous remark, then complimenting David’s and Katie’s part in the rapidly-growing podcast industry and further complimenting them for opening this forum to (and I quote) “all of us”. Referring back, of course, to us, the “unwashed masses” I mentioned at the beginning.

I don’t think that a fair and context-sensitive interpretation of my post would be that of an insult to anyone; it was certainly not meant to be. Next time I should perhaps include a smiley-face emoticon :grinning: to preclude misinterpretation.

2 Likes

Note to self: Don’t use 19th century literary phrases in tech forums. :smile:

6 Likes

Well said.

On the bright side, this forum allows “diverse” participants, including seasoned citizens like me who sometimes utter … _“antique” … _ phrases.

Note to self: refrain from commenting here again. This never seems to go well for me.

My mistake. Apologies. Going away now, again.

Sorry for the delayed response; busy enough that I haven’t checked the forum in a few days.

I just wanted to thank David for weighing in on this thread and learning his voice to our discussion.

I never assumed you (or Katie) would be posting regularly here. This forum is a great service for all of us to share our ideas, tips, concerns, etc, but the task of reading everything, much less commenting on everything, would be insurmountable.

Thanks for jumping in on this particularly controversial thread, however. And thanks for finding a way to support Katie as she moves on and still keeping MPU alive!

1 Like

Solid episode. Sad to see Katie leave but quite the glowing tribute and send off. I’m curious what favorite shows of hers are that had come to Netflix. Also curious if she allows text notifications on her Apple Watch.

Well, I think it is up to myself if I am interested in my favorite host’s desktop image, isn’t it? No need to tell anybody here what to be interested in. I understand that you would prefer a strictly tech-based podcast with no personal talk at all. That’s fine. I prefer a mix of tech and personal issues. And so do many others. That’s just how it is. I don’t see any reason for limiting ourselves to tech just because we consider ourselves as “power users”. Tech and social/personal issues go hand in hand, so why just cover one side?

2 Likes

Bingo! Plus honestly I don’t watch Star Wars or Star Trek so I’m curious what other stuff Katie enjoys to watch.