Mac Power Users 476: Exploring the Mac App Store

My first ever app from the app store in early Jan 2011 was MindNode Lite. Other notable first year purchases still in frequent use - 1password, SnapnDrag pro and Alfred, though I probably had the non app store versions first. In fact I’ve had 1Password since it was 1Passwrd…

I’ve been buying Mac apps directly from software devs since about 2014, but find that many of my “utility” apps (Encrypto, PopClip, etc.) come the MAS.

I want the iOS version to come over. The Mac app isn’t nearly as good.

1 Like

aaaaand BBEdit is back on the store:

https://512pixels.net/2019/04/bbedit-back-on-the-mac-app-store/

4 Likes

Interesting that you have to subscribe through the MAS but can purchase a full license from them directly.

BBEdit does paid upgrades; the MAS doesn’t offer that.

1 Like

BBEdit licensing is a bit unclear to me, and gives me another reason for liking the MAS.

I think if I download from the MAS, I can install it on any number of machines (never met any limit) that I’m signed in to; but no family sharing as the license is an IAP.

I couldn’t find any information for what a single-user license from BareBones actually means, but one unrelated website suggests it’s 1 home machine and 1 office machine.

This makes the choices nice and varied, but a bit muddy due to difficulty in getting all the info, which is one of the MAS’s strengths.

1 Like

When the iOS app store came out, I felt contraint to choose a selection from one source. I used to be free and go to a web site and download an App. I also didn’t like to have a potential messy list of Apps I downloaded for testing and delete them after 5 minutes. The lack of download management was (and mostly still) a negative point (unike Google Play store, BTW).
When the Mac App store arrived, I really didn’t buy it, ad mostly don’t use it. As @MacSparky, when I have the choice I prefer to go to the website instead of the App store. My Reasons:

• you often have a test version you can delete without a trace
  • if the app is nice and is from an indepenent dev or team, I feel better to give them the 30% extra :slight_smile:
  • I feel (but can’t really say), that there are often more updates in the website version than on Mac Appstore.

For me, the Mac Appstore is made for common people. It’s easy and reduce potential malicious binaries. However as we are all here Powerusers, I feel the Store is limiting and avoid it if I can.

When Day One switched to Day One 2, I stopped using it. I like the simplicity, but also the use of human readable files (in case I wanted to migrate the content). They didn’t show (at the time), they could handle securely my stories…

I move (months later) to Agenda (https://www.agenda.com), which does more than Day One. But I created a project called Day One, where I can add posts, just like in Day One. File are still human readable, and sync (if you want) is handled by iCloud. Also, the business model is interesting, and wanted to give a try.

The current episode of the iPad Pros podcast, released yesterday, is with one of the devs of Agenda. Very interesting discussion.

Awesome :slight_smile: