Mac Power Users 482: Color Me Interested

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no keeping Sparks in check.

5 Likes

Great wishlist. I was just confused by one comment by @MacSparky. You mentioned that there were powerful IOS apps that would be great on the Mac and one of the once you mentioned was OmniFocus. Not only does it exist, but you also made a Field Guide for itā€¦

Is there some functionality in the IOS app you think is missing? I just bought the guide and have not started it yetā€¦

1 Like

And Omnigroup: PLEASE donā€™t make a marzipan OF app! The iPad app is only just there as it is. Nowhere near the macOS app in functionalityā€¦

@ismh, your financial formatting TextSoap job is absolutely begging to be named ā€œLaunder Moneyā€.

12 Likes

On the topic of geo-tagging photos, Iā€™ve been using the GPS4cam Pro iPhone app / desktop app to tag raw files before importing to Lightroom. Unfortunately Iā€™m not sure how much life that particular application has as there doesnā€™t appear to have been any updates or social media activity since 2014.

If you are a Lightroom user, there is functionality in there to load a gpx file and tag your photos although I think that would only be stored against in the LR catalogue and attached to any exported jpgs. I donā€™t think that updates the original source file so if you move away from LR in the future thereā€™s a chance you might need to re-tag with something else (presuming youā€™ve kept the original gpx trail).

Can I say how happy I was to hear all the Katie Floyd references!!! Oh what she would have said to our David as he lovingly drank (as we all do) from the Apple kool aid! This is the episode that finally allowed me to enjoy Stephen in all his glory! I have been listening and itā€™s been fine, but our guys are rockinā€™ it now. Looking forward to more like this. Last episode threw me back a little less than $300! Thanks to @bowline for all discount heads up! Best to you all!

2 Likes

@mistergrau

I was thinking about some of the more user-friendly creative apps. Photo and audio apps come to mind. Youā€™re right though ā€¦ that was a bad example.

1 Like

Thanks @Bacigirl. You made my day.

2 Likes

@MacSparky Yes, those would be nice. Especially Photoshop (or On1). But, as you pointed out, without an improved Files app it ainā€™t gonna work!

Ok. Iā€™m jumping up & down. Youā€™ll never know how you, Katie, Rose & Stephen have enriched my Mac life! Thank you! This Discourse group has been just a blessing to all of us like-minded folk. Focused has really blossomed too. Iā€™ve always enjoyed Mike. Wishing you all the best!

5 Likes

@ismh your currency formatting challenge sounds like a job for PopClip. Highlight the text, PopClip appears, send it to TextSoap to clean it up.
Or, craft your own PopClip extension to remove currency formatting for you.
Whether all this works out or not, PopClip is still really handy.

1 Like

Hey guys @MacSparky @ismh , love ya work ā€¦ but ā€¦ one small tiny request. At first I let it slide but it has turned up more than once now. Please stop using ā€˜drugā€™ as the past tense of ā€˜dragā€™. If you did drag something in the past you ā€˜draggedā€™ it. A drug is a pharmaceutical or other not so legal substance. :slightly_smiling_face: Just trying to help.

4 Likes

According to Mariam-Webster drug is also the ā€œdialectal past tense of dragā€. So itā€™s a bit regional, but acceptable use.

2 Likes

Iā€™m from the south so just be happy I donā€™t pronounce it as if it has 3 syllables.

10 Likes

Exactly. Some people just gottaā€™ dance with them what brung you.

Iā€™m from the east, and they say drug here too.

ā€“ about 240 miles east :smile:

Holy moly! I stand corrected then. Iā€™m guessing youā€™re all fine with ā€˜dove into the waterā€™ rather then ā€˜dived into the waterā€™ also? Looks like Iā€™ll have to be drug kicking and screaming into the world of ā€˜international Englishā€™.

4 Likes

Yep. And next thing ya know youā€™ll be saying ā€œyā€™allā€ like the rest of us!

1 Like

Not quite done with the episode but wanna chime in. David and Stephen talked about software that has its own ecosystem that stores stuff within it. Scrivener, Photos, and DayOne come to mind. Then thereā€™s Lightroom which allows for stuff to be stored outside the software but managed by it.

Iā€™m a Lightroom and Photos user. Photos handles all my iOS photos and videos. Makes cloud syncing easy too. Lightroom has my mobile photos too (through a Dropbox and Hazel system but I need to evaluate this as itā€™s been a while) along with my personal photos taken on digital cameras. My Lightroom photos are over 700gb. Not sure about my Photos library. I guess my rambling point is that though cloud services are awesome Iā€™d want backups of important data like my photos. Curious if people feel the same way or if Iā€™m out of touch?